wazua Sun, Sep 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

case for seamless money transfer platform
vinii
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 8:15:40 AM

From Business Daily...

'Safaricom’s rivals want the Central Bank of Kenya to establish a seamless money transfer platform aiming to weaken M-Pesa’s dominance that has become a major battlefront in the war for control of the telecoms market.

In a proposal tabled before the Prime Minister and seen by the Business Daily, Safaricom’s rivals argue that such a platform would remove the high cost barrier that is preventing consumers from moving money across networks.

Though it is possible to send money across the networks, the transfer process remains complex and costs 10 times more than the price of sending money within a network, adding new dimensions to the factors that preventing consumers from changing mobile phone service providers.

Safaricom’s rivals reckon that a seamless platform will loosen each operator’s grip on the mobile money platform pulling down the cost barriers and allowing free movement of money in the economy.

Some of the service providers say the establishment of a central clearing house will offer them headroom to significantly cut costs as they have recently done in the voice calls'

I think this is the way to go..
If you are an eagle don't hang around with chickens; chickens don't fly....
subzero
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 12:33:27 PM

am surprised that this topic doesn't have a reply yet.

I think that this is a good move as it will kill the monopoly that Safaricom has on Mpesa,

Though Safaricom is likely to fight this to the bitter end, Interconnection of Mobile Money transfer is inevitable,

If i, a KCB customer is sent money by a customer from Equity, am not forced to Collect at Equity.
Why then will i, a ZAP customer be forced to collect money from MPESA when they send me money,

I also foresee CCK pushing for this coz,
1. MPESA will frustrate all efforts by CCK for successful number portability in kenya, coz no safcom subscriber will port, (when you port you close your account and can't use MPESA)

2. CCK contracted Messrs Analysis Mason(UK) to do a study on mobile market in kenya and they recommended that CCK supports interconnection mobile money transfer platforms
selah
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 12:49:20 PM

the argument made by airtel is not about bringing down the price per se it want to use what safaricom has invested in its system and distribution network hence reduce its own cost of doing the same.That explains why they are not rolling up their zap service as they had earlier promised.

I think to ensure growth in this sector telcos should be allowed to innovate and invent solutions that appeal to their target market not try to commoditize rivals solutions.

I dont see why airtel should be advocating for a cause that it does not concerns its customers, since they can reduce their prices in their own money transfer service just as they have done in voice and win the so called locked customers,they just need to lobby for reduction on interconnection charges ,but transfering a solution owned by safaricom to the control of third party( cbk clearing house),That will be killing Innovation.
'......to the acknowledgment of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; 3 In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.' Colossians 2:2-3
Papa Investor
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2011 1:54:21 PM

This is the last barrier in Safaricom's arsenal and do not foresee Safaricom surrendering this ever...it is the moat Warren Buffet refers to...without it, Safaricom will most likely become another also ran telco (esp with MJ gone) with a more balanced market share and normal returns...