wazua Sat, May 4, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Inequality
Waria
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2009 7:39:00 AM

Today as i was waiting for a client at westgate mall,i poped inside Nakumatt to grab a paper: Behold there were queues of guys pushin trolleyfulls,some with humongus Lcd Tvs amongst other luxury goods. Mind you all this in the middle of the week

A recent study in BD reveals that westgate had the highest spending/customer while the least was the burnt Downtown.

In the paper i read about the obesity epidemic in private schools and marasmus in the public ones

Where is all this money coming from? i thot we were in recession. Someone tell me coz i want in too.

Me first,U next
Sober
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2009 8:32:00 AM

Recession is the same thing but having different impact to different people in the same country. To some it means less ugali on the table while to others less money to invest. Take an example where poor people dont have a meal while the rich are complaining of escalating fuel prices. It all depends with your level

A likely impossibility is always preferable to an unconvincing posibility.
African parents don't know how to say sorry.. the closest you will get to a sorry is a 'have you eaten'
mukiha
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2009 8:45:00 AM

Up till the mid 1980s. Deacons was the average family's clothing store...them and Yuken (a.k.a.,Y-Fashions).

Then came the collapse of the textiles industry in Kenya...thanks to Mitumba imported mainly by Gideon Moi...

Yuken folded but Deacons re-positioned themselves to the upper class...got the Woolworths franchise and they survived.

Lesson: when times are hard,re-position your business to the upper class in society...they are the last to feel the pinch.

Have you ever heard DT Dobie complain about their Mercedes franchise? No; but they are always crying about unfair competition on the Nissan front.
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
Waria
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2009 9:50:00 AM

I appreciate that recsssion has hit people differently but the kind of consumerism i saw was extra odainary even in better circumstances

Look at the real estate prices where some shoddy villas are going for 30-50m and yet are being snapped up

given that we have not discovered oil/diamonds in this country- where is all this money

I think there are pararell economies at work here

Me first,U next
Waria
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2009 10:17:00 AM

http://www.nation.co.ke/...n/-/vk9xqg/-/index.html

As at February 10,the retail chain had registered 600,000 smart cards and from the information collected,65 per cent use over $75 for shopping while 25 per cent parts with $50-75 and those who shop for below $50 account for 10 per cent. The Average Basket Value of loyal customers is $37 from which Nakumatt Westgate takes the giant share of $71 while the burnt Nakumatt Downtown contributed $5.69.'

This means that the avg shopper at westgate-including newspaper buyers like me (Kes 35) spend about 71*80=5680 per visit. Tsk!

Me first,U next
Njunge
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2009 10:58:00 AM

@Waria,

Try walking at night around town.......You might be lucky to find a bank with doors ajar and the vaults open.Meanwhile,why not take you cheap money to Downtown and help bridge the gap between it and WestGate?......Before they discover you spend 35 bob only and have you thrown out (Yes.For not spending at least the minimum)....heheheh...!!.Life is not meant to be fair...-:)

Guka wa bijuti...
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
Pierce
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2009 11:14:00 AM

@ Waria

Kwani how old are you! When was life ever fair.............

Life is hard.......then you die!
Sasha
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2009 11:32:00 AM

Those big spenders at Nakumatt are nothing compared to the stories you will read on this thread: http://stockskenya.com/n...?stk=1005&top=13115

Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time!