wazua Mon, Oct 7, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages<12345>
Why are Kikuyus supporting Ruto?
Wendz
#41 Posted : Monday, February 07, 2011 2:02:46 PM

Karema Hiti wrote:
Wendz, thanks for your composure & sobriety. You are right -- lasting peace will only be cultivated by we neighbours. Currently, we have different programmes to complement the various efforts that other players are putting in place to build peace amongst our comunities. However, the so-called 'ethno-hysteria' or simply 'mob thinking' is profoundly entrenched in our communities. One way of unlocking it is through our 'leaders'. Therefore, any little sign or opportunity of our 'leaders' working together will always be welcome if it can add value to what we are doing at mashinani.

Trust me KH, this is where we go wrong! If we dont stop this nonsense of looking up to these goons, we will always have a problem of "mob thinking" and as you rightly put, is what led us to where we were 2007/2008. If we take these guys as working together now and hence there is peace, what will happen when they stop working together (and trust me, this will be pretty soon once their interests have been fully achieved)? Am glad you have programmes that are working to restore peace, in my warped reasoning (coz may be i havent really been on the ground) I would say, keep off politicians when it comes to seeking peace! They are more than happy when the wananchi dance to their tune, of war (as they did) or of peace (as they are doing) because only then are they sure that you have surrendered your reasoning to them.... and they now have you as a puppet!
#42 Posted : Monday, February 07, 2011 2:04:10 PM

I don't think the Kikuyus are supporting Ruto but he's working hard to woo them. But that said and from the look of things I think they prefer Ruto to RO because of Kibs and Uhuru's stand.

BBI will solve it
:)
YesuWangu
#43 Posted : Monday, February 07, 2011 2:12:49 PM

Karema Hiti wrote:
Wendz, thanks for your composure & sobriety. You are right -- lasting peace will only be cultivated by we neighbours. Currently, we have different programmes to complement the various efforts that other players are putting in place to build peace amongst our comunities. However, the so-called 'ethno-hysteria' or simply 'mob thinking' is profoundly entrenched in our communities. One way of unlocking it is through our 'leaders'. Therefore, any little sign or opportunity of our 'leaders' working together will always be welcome if it can add value to what we are doing at mashinani.

'Our leaders'......who are your leaders? Do you know you are a leader? At least in your native environment like home or house for instance. What do you do at home?

Do you 'unlock' the people around you to live in peace with ALL communities? Or peace for only those whose so called 'leaders' seem to work together?

Unless you are merely following your favourite leaders read (favourite politicians)

Wendz, it seems I have missed the bus? What is this quote that you allegedly gave? Or have you been misquoted?
Ms Mkenya
#44 Posted : Monday, February 07, 2011 2:24:35 PM

As Wendz has rightly put it, we cannot rely on the goons in Parliament to help peace. It begins with Me, KaremaH, Rahat, Wendz, newfarer, simonkabz, 2010, Impunity, MaichB etc to bring peace!

We are already so combative and we do not even know each other's real identities for crying out loud!!!

Let us discuss things as they are.

Newsflash---those goons in parliament are only looking out for themselves!!!
....above all, to stand.
Much Know
#45 Posted : Monday, February 07, 2011 2:39:01 PM

Its okay you can throw those "clever insults" at me, but to bury my head in the sand and ignore a “tribal crisis” and a tribally warped political system in Kenya is what really is uneducated. What solution are you providing for a future crisis? Do you expect by 2012 Kenyans would have stopped tribalism; if no what measures will you take to ensure tribalism foes do not flare into violence? Will this short lived political "reconciliation" dalliance between tribes end the 18 year wars? Is it rock solid or predatory with an imminent fallout?. Unlike some here who are “proud” to speak multiple languages, I am unable to fluently speak any and identify with none, I have spent few moments upcountry and can’t specifically identify with any tribe or community, that’s the truth of the matter, but I will not ignore a problem that interferes with my investments, peace, prosperity and choice of residence as a Kenyan by playing a take no responsibility role of “I am not into tribalism”, “politicians are the problem not the people” etc.

Kenyans will continue to vote for POLITICIANS forever and ever, in any case what other solution besides voting politicians is in existence in this universe? Can you start it? Maybe we ask the church to lead? It will always be politicians and they are all overwhelmingly supported in the grassroots. The masses in Rift Valley will say RUTO represents them, and there are showing it everyday on T.V and don’t be a fool to think they don’t or are FORCED BY SOME POLITICAL MAGIC TO SUPPORT HIM, it is their will and he represents their will, if he fails them they remove him, that is it!!.

I DO NOT SUPPORT TRIBALISM, I just can’t ignore it, I hope and know it is dropping but it is still a very real factor in Kenyan politics and will continue to be so for sometime. I can’t ignore the above, tribalism and its dynamics then wait for more to die in 2012 as I sit in my office sipping coffee or flee the country and choose to PRETENTIOUSLY PUT MYSELF ABOVE THE MWANAINCHI
A New Kenya
Rahatupu
#46 Posted : Monday, February 07, 2011 3:14:09 PM

Ms Mkenya wrote:
As Wendz has rightly put it, we cannot rely on the goons in Parliament to help peace. It begins with Me, KaremaH, Rahat, Wendz, newfarer, simonkabz, 2010, Impunity, MaichB etc to bring peace!

We are already so combative and we do not even know each others real identities for crying out loud!!!

Let us discuss things as they are.

Newsflash---those goons in parliament are only looking out for themselves!!!

@Ms well said. @Much no, the anger in your sentiments say so much more about you. Endorsing the "tribal" antics of politicians is the same as playing to their gallery. We all vote on whatever basis and partake to political activity in our own inclinations. BUT what matters as far as this discussion is concerned is how much of your thinking is clouded by tribalism be it in politics, business, etc!
simonkabz
#47 Posted : Monday, February 07, 2011 3:25:21 PM

What would happen if kyuks dont support Ruto? On another note, the 2007 political alliance against one community WAS NOT TRIBALISM, right guys? The emerging alliances r the epitome of ethnicity, right? Anyway someone kindly answer the 1st question.
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
Kaigangio
#48 Posted : Monday, February 07, 2011 3:25:51 PM

the UKs and WR have absolutely no interest and do not give a damn about anybodys peace...they have every interest in furthering their own political agenda and ambitions....there is nothing that can stop them from luring the voters back into the mayheim again when the need arises....after all the ordinary voter is just but an expendable asset...

the high level manouvres by the leaders is purely individualistic for now and cannot be construed to mean that the rest of the people are in their plan...it is the combatants themselves who can cultivate a lasting peace and not the elitist political imps...
...besides, the presence of a safe alone does not signify that there is money inside...
the sage
#49 Posted : Monday, February 07, 2011 3:26:02 PM

This is the best we can do folks. This is what we have to offer. It's what our system produces: Garbage in, garbage out. If you have selfish, ignorant citizens, you're going to get selfish, ignorant leaders. George Carlin
Wendz
#50 Posted : Monday, February 07, 2011 3:34:44 PM

simonkabz wrote:
What would happen if kyuks dont support Ruto? On another note, the 2007 political alliance against one community WAS NOT TRIBALISM, right guys? The emerging alliances r the epitome of ethnicity, right? Anyway someone kindly answer the 1st question.

Lets say, in 2007, we didnt have a new constitution and spirit for change... now we do (hopefully).

To answer your first question: He wont have clout and will shut the hell up until Ocampo calls him with his friends to defend themselves for whatever wrongs they are perceived to have participated on...

We shall have some bit of quiet... lets put it that way.
Karema Hiti
#51 Posted : Monday, February 07, 2011 3:52:08 PM

[quote=simonkabz]The emerging alliances r the epitome of ethnicity, right? Anyway someone kindly answer the 1st question.[/quote)

I wonder why any mention of two Kikuyu elders meeting becomes the epitome of ethnicity. It becomes even worse when a Kikuyu is seen dining or having some coffee with a non-Kikuyu. This is always code-named a tribal alliance. This has been the gospel according to RAO and the like minded opportunists since 2005. He perfected it and he is at it again. If UK were to visit a Luhya MPig in Western, RAO (and his infantry) will have something to light their jiko with the following morning. What am I saying in short? This tribal talk will never intimidate some us and will countered with the same measure of venom. Stop this talk of Kikuyu, Kikuyu every time your political star is dwindling!
QD
#52 Posted : Monday, February 07, 2011 3:55:51 PM

Being level headed in this conversation will help "us" propagate peace.
..Not all contributers in this thread are kaleos or kuyks, but we are all kenyans.
..Lets make peace with each other in our offices, homes, churches, mkts etc en most in this blog coz atleast each wazuan member can influence five more pple en all bet we may just start seeing the peace we want
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence
bepari
#53 Posted : Monday, February 07, 2011 4:01:05 PM

@much know,i like your 'callin as you see it' attitude.
we the electorate did fail in our duty,we vote for the wrong pple and for the wrong reasons;kuyos, kaleos,luos all endure bad governance but come election time,tribe becomes the only criteria,not who can deliver.it becomes a matter of them vs us not issue a vs b. what we sow is what we reap. Now what can we do to change this tribe based politics?
if you aint livin on the edge,you are taking too much space....
YesuWangu
#54 Posted : Monday, February 07, 2011 4:01:28 PM

Indeed people are not forced to support politicians. What happens is that they willingly support those politicians.

The politician deceives the person into believing that person is the one on the spot. This same politician also deceives the person into believing that the person must be defensive against the politicians enemies.

Then we have many persons, taking up the politicians poison and and owning it like it were their burden.
Like legs walking, so long as one leg keeps going forward passing the other the whole thing keeps moving. When one leg doesnt go even after the other has gone, the thing stops.

We usually urge a section of Kenyans to stop being beholden to certain man while at the same time do our bit to be beholden to our own men.
hoodrat
#55 Posted : Monday, February 07, 2011 4:10:51 PM

So who is waiting for who to change first?The politicians will always throw the tribal bait at every opportunity because they know very well the masses will bite it hook and sink,forget about all about that perfomance record stuff.This forum is already charged so you can already tell what will inform how they vote in the next GE!
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today!
YesuWangu
#56 Posted : Monday, February 07, 2011 4:19:06 PM

hoodrat wrote:
So who is waiting for who to change first?The politicians will always throw the tribal bait at every opportunity because they know very well the masses will bite it hook and sink,forget about all about that perfomance record stuff.This forum is already charged so you can already tell what will inform how they vote in the next GE!

I dont know.

But one thing I see could be a ray of hope. We have not seen him going to his community to tell them they are being targetted.

That makes him different, a little bit more mature. I hope he does not do that. I sincerely do.
Much Know
#57 Posted : Monday, February 07, 2011 4:27:41 PM

bepari wrote:
Now what can we do to change this tribe based politics?

Yours is a very big question and hope some genuine strategies and contributions can be developed in such a forum, was about to give up on it. I doubt though tribalism will fade as fast as we would like it to, but I think one of the things we ought to do is quickly punish those who perpetuate tribal violence and intimidation as a political strategy and to stump out tribal practices in government employment, contracts etc through prosecutions and demands for resignations as with the Kosgey/koskey etc so there are no big benefits to being tribal, i guess that would help control it. We should work against tribal favoritism in government the way PLO is dealing with corruption. Racism for example is very hard to deal with, but dealing with racial violence and discrimination is a good start. We need to control any benefits "power" an individual accrues from his community by offering tribal goodies, this is how Moi messed up Kenya, entrenched tribalism and is what some violent community misses.
A New Kenya
McReggae
#58 Posted : Monday, February 07, 2011 4:27:49 PM

YesuWangu wrote:
hoodrat wrote:

I dont know.

But one thing I see could be a ray of hope. We have not seen him going to his community to tell them they are being targetted.

That makes him different, a little bit more mature. I hope he does not do that. I sincerely do.

Whom are you referring to here???

The wazua gets charged on this subject sends a chill down my spine, I fear for twentetwelof!!!!!
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
bepari
#59 Posted : Monday, February 07, 2011 4:42:31 PM

We do face a daunting task as a nation because we are on a train to destruction. the politicians that we are so quick to blame are products of our tribal society. so lets start with us. lets deal with issues in an honest manner.
if you aint livin on the edge,you are taking too much space....
Wendz
#60 Posted : Monday, February 07, 2011 4:45:12 PM

Much Know wrote:
bepari wrote:
Now what can we do to change this tribe based politics?

Yours is a very big question and hope some genuine strategies and contributions can be developed in such a forum, was about to give up on it. I doubt though tribalism will fade as fast as we would like it to, but I think one of the things we ought to do is quickly punish those who perpetuate tribal violence and intimidation as a political strategy and to stump out tribal practices in government employment, contracts etc through prosecutions and demands for resignations as with the Kosgey/koskey etc so there are no big benefits to being tribal, i guess that would help control it. We should work against tribal favoritism in government the way PLO is dealing with corruption. Racism for example is very hard to deal with, but dealing with racial violence and discrimination is a good start. We need to control any benefits "power" an individual accrues from his community by offering tribal goodies, this is how Moi messed up Kenya, entrenched tribalism and is what some violent community misses.

Now, this sounds like we are headed in the right direction.... once people have this set of mindset, especially the middle class that has always been 'indifferent', then it becomes easy to start seeking practical solutions.... like educating the masses right from your parents, siblings, schools, churches, work place, wherever you meet people and have a chance to talk about our diversity etc and they will spread the gospel.

For example, if you participate in youth forums in your church, school etc - take some time and talk about it. If you are a chairman of the men/women/guild associations in church etc... talk to your parents, if they have these positions, talk to them into agreeing to talk of these issues.... etc... thats where we make a difference as "small" people.