wazua Mon, Oct 7, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages<12
Kibaki s Judicial Nominations illegal -High Court
Elder
#21 Posted : Thursday, February 03, 2011 5:50:48 PM

Jus Blazin wrote:
Question: can high court affect or stop parliament from its internal mechanisms on this issue?

No it can't. Well, unless you are Justice Nyamu that is. However any appointee taking up his post despite a court order would have legitimacy issues. Imagine a Chief Justice being sworn in in contempt of court. Kenyans may as well stop obeying court orders.
He who can express in words the ardour of his love, has but little love to express. - Petrach, Son. (That men by various ways arrive at the same end. - Montaigne, The Essays of.)
masukuma
#22 Posted : Thursday, February 03, 2011 6:06:21 PM

people love talking...talking...talking... sabotage if there is no DOMO. the JSC is out of this story. its because people were not talked to to their hearts content. people need to learn to respect institutions and their decisions. not everything will come your way!
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
masukuma
#23 Posted : Thursday, February 03, 2011 6:12:19 PM

In itself the judiciary are useless - coz they only instruct. imagine - if a judge said - "you are guilty of ABC" and the executive (police) refuses to arrest you. What will the judge do? funga u in his house with a chain and a 262 tricircle?
in order for government to work, every part must be allowed to do its thing - its now in parliament and regardless of what everyone else thinks - parliament will decide what is right for this situation. if its the process - parliament will say so, if its the candidates it will do the same thing, but not play second fiddle to anyone.
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
Jus Blazin
#24 Posted : Thursday, February 03, 2011 6:48:55 PM

masukuma wrote:
In itself the judiciary are useless - coz they only instruct. imagine - if a judge said - "you are guilty of ABC" and the executive (police) refuses to arrest you. What will the judge do? funga u in his house with a chain and a 262 tricicle?
in order for government to work, every part must be allowed to do its thing - its now in parliament and regardless of what everyone else thinks - parliament will decide what is right for this situation. if its the process - parliament will say so, if its the candidates it will do the same thing, but not play second fiddle to anyone.

AMEN
Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity. ~ Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Free
#25 Posted : Thursday, February 03, 2011 7:07:55 PM

Both RAO and MK were wrong, consultation was to be done after the JSC has given them a list of qualified people.
The whole process was FLAWED....
kadonye
#26 Posted : Thursday, February 03, 2011 7:33:00 PM

Bro, read the sixth schedule on transitional provisions.
Free wrote:
Both RAO and MK were wrong, consultation was to be done after the JSC has given them a list of qualified people.
The whole process was FLAWED....

What a wicked man I am!The things I want to do,I don't do.The things I don't want to do I find myself doing
TAZ
#27 Posted : Thursday, February 03, 2011 8:15:53 PM

Lets get one thing clear people, RAOs main issue with MK is the nomination of the CJ. Had MK named Justice Omollo, he would have approved the nominations.
petro08
#28 Posted : Thursday, February 03, 2011 8:15:54 PM

kadonye wrote:
newfarer wrote:
Jus Blazin wrote:
Marende realises MK may have been right, but since he doesnt want to disappoint RAO and his cronies, declines to make a judgement.

Aiiiiiii the MK would be a genious , if the High court was wrong , the saints oops catholic bishops ,The Laywers , AG , Chief justice 99.99% of all Wazuan are wrong
Only Kibaki is right.

Let's get it right people.
1.Kibaki MUST consult RAO on appointments.
2.Kibaki does NOT need any input from JSC on appointment of the CJ.

Quote:
Chief Justice
24. (1) The Chief Justice in office immediately before the effective date shall, within six months after the effective date, vacate office and may choose either--
(a) to retire from the judiciary; or
(b) subject to the process of vetting under section 23, to continue to serve on the Court of Appeal.
(2) A new Chief Justice shall be appointed by the President, subject to the National Accord and Reconciliation Act, and after consultation with the Prime Minister and with the approval of the National Assembly.
(3) Subsection (2) also applies if there are further vacancies in the office of Chief Justice before the first general elections under this Constitution.

I guess we are now progressing well after the speaker's ruling.

I have analysed all the happenings and I have an opinion this will be the verdict whether in court or in parliament.

1. Both Raila and Kibaki were wrong on the appointment of the Chief Justice.

Some lawyer must have informed them that JSC's input was not necessary. This is what convinced them " A new Chief Justice shall be appointed by the President, subject to the National Accord and Reconciliation Act, and after consultation with the Prime Minister and with the approval of the National Assembly"

Unless the same constitution specifically states that this is a special appointment, we all know that there are rules that ought to be followed when appointing the Chief Justice. And this is where the JSC comes in.

2. Kibaki and Raila may be found to have been wrong on the issue of gender balance. This is what the court has just ruled. The matter may not be conclusive for now. But chances are, this will be the final verdict.

3. Though both Kibaki and Raila must consult, the way that was worded was intended to give one of them an upper hand in case of a disagreement. am of the feeling that if there is sufficient evidence that there in deed was conclusive consultations, the President will carry the day.
If the consultations are deemed to be incomplete, then the Prime Minister will carry the day.

Finally

Regardless of the verdict in no. 3 above, the whole process or part of the process will have to be repeated.

- The CJ position will have to go through JSC
-Depending on the final court ruling one of the other 3 may have to leave the post to a woman.
Obi 1 Kanobi
#29 Posted : Thursday, February 03, 2011 8:26:03 PM

masukuma wrote:
In itself the judiciary are useless - coz they only instruct. imagine - if a judge said - "you are guilty of ABC" and the executive (police) refuses to arrest you. What will the judge do? funga u in his house with a chain and a 262 tricicle?

Civics 101, parliament makes laws, judiciary interprets laws, etc.
After making the laws, parliament must allow the judiciary to interpret them, they cannot do both, so I am afraid parliament will be forced to abandon the process alltogether or risk discussing something thats illegal.
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
kadonye
#30 Posted : Thursday, February 03, 2011 8:56:04 PM

@petro, I like your views. No emotions, no rushing to judge anyone and hurl insults at them.The court actually could make a ruling in similar fashion to your line of thought. It could tie Article 166 with the Transitional provisions and rule that the transitional provisions complement the Chapter on Judiciary.
What a wicked man I am!The things I want to do,I don't do.The things I don't want to do I find myself doing
jerry
#31 Posted : Thursday, February 03, 2011 9:18:52 PM

@Jus Blazin; Just sober up and think in the line of 'spirit and letter' of the constitution. Don't be a Pharisee!!! and read the Bible a bit even if you don't prophess the same.
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
Jus Blazin
#32 Posted : Friday, February 04, 2011 8:38:46 AM

jerry wrote:
@Jus Blazin; Just sober up and think in the line of 'spirit and letter' of the constitution. Don't be a Pharisee!!! and read the Bible a bit even if you don't prophess the same.

@Jerry, please refer to all @Kadonye's posts on this thread as I choose not to respond to your 'Pharisee' claim.
newfarer wrote:
Jus Blazin wrote:
Marende realises MK may have been right, but since he doesnt want to disappoint RAO and his cronies, declines to make a judgement.

Aiiiiiii the MK would be a genious , if the High court was wrong , the saints oops catholic bishops ,The Laywers , AG , Chief justice 99.99% of all Wazuan are wrong
Only Kibaki is right.

Yes, all the above mentioned may have been wrong. Kindly check my response on post#36 on http://www.wazua.co.ke/f...10870&p=2#post146096
Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity. ~ Lucius Annaeus Seneca
XSK
#33 Posted : Friday, February 04, 2011 9:04:40 AM

McReggae wrote:
Jus Blazin wrote:

He basically told kibaki, listen to what the people are saying. These committees have already shown disapproval of the process, and so as much as he says he is seeking the advice of the committees, he has basically told kibaki off!

@McReggae

We see what we want to see all the time! (borrowed from Celine Dion). For you its Kibaki loosing,for others Raila and yet others who are tired of this childish public antics. Now my opinion is Marende just wanted to be neutral and let the hard decision be made by others.
You will know that you have arrived when money and time are not mutually exclusive "events" in you life!
FundamentAli
#34 Posted : Friday, February 04, 2011 9:35:10 AM

I said it before, the naming put things in a very tricky position. What can anyone do now? Are those guys not qualified? Does anyone of them who is in a position that counts have any partisan interest. If the answers are yes and no respectively, then the list will stand. The CJ was the tricky bit.

Meanwhile, the legal fraternity thinks it is their sole duty to say who should be appointed. Some lawyers have cases which have stalled in courts for ever. Lawyers are one of a kind. All lawyers I speak to make it sound that they have been denied the right to choose. Their choise is to retain status quo.

As for the ruling 'prohibiting all arm of government from making the nominations' I cannot make what the guy meant.