wazua Mon, Oct 7, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
the highly farcical goings-on in government...
Djinn
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 03, 2011 11:41:12 AM

The highly farcical goings-on in government in the last few days alone behoove Kenyans to take to the streets like the Tunisians/Egyptians/Yemenis...

then again, the Kenyans who have the wherewithal to trigger this off are compromised and self serving while the masses are hugely subjugated and despondent...

If COTU was a real trade union...it would be the ideal vehicle to take worker's forward...its their taxes that are being wasted shipping some clots across the continent to lobby for immunity from the ICC...its their taxes that are being wasted on lavish lifestyles and a bloated government...its from the brow of their sweat that the rich get richer ....working in inhumane conditions and bereft of worker's rights and protection under the law...

OK, I'm having one of those days filled with ansgt....we still have IDPs out there, famine looms large and there is so much to fix.

The same clowns that are trying to shield the Ocampo six are the same three ring circus disagreeing about judicial nominees (is that a red herring or what?).

Rahatupu
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 03, 2011 12:08:58 PM

Djinn wrote:
The highly farcical goings-on in government in the last few days alone behoove Kenyans to take to the streets like the Tunisians/Egyptians/Yemenis...

then again, the Kenyans who have the wherewithal to trigger this off are compromised and self serving while the masses are hugely subjugated and despondent...

If COTU was a real trade union...it would be the ideal vehicle to take worker's forward...its their taxes that are being wasted shipping some clots across the continent to lobby for immunity from the ICC...its their taxes that are being wasted on lavish lifestyles and a bloated government...its from the brow of their sweat that the rich get richer ....working in inhumane conditions and bereft of worker's rights and protection under the law...

OK, I'm having one of those days filled with ansgt....we still have IDPs out there, famine looms large and there is so much to fix.

The same clowns that are trying to shield the Ocampo six are the same three ring circus disagreeing about judicial nominees (is that a red herring or what?).

@Djinn, this is a spot on analysis of the current situation. However, IMHO, the size of the middle class in Kenya is too small compared to the poorer peasants. What we can have in Kenya is a peasant revolution guided by the middle class. However, several critical factors play out against such a dream:

1. As Che Guevara observed in the 1970s in Zaire, Africans have this kinship attachment that hinders them to think from an economic point of view. Can you imagine the Kikuyu, Luo, Kambo, Kalenjin, etc peasants joining ranks to revolt against RAO, WR, Kibs etc? Only when this important group is fully liberated from the idiocy of tribalism will there ever be a revolt on this soil similar to the Tunisian or Egyptian one. The point is we do not look at what we have in common from a class perspective it is time we raised our class consciousness to the next level.

2. As long as the masses continue to identify with the greedy politicians as "we" have e.g 8, ministers against "you" with 3, then the situation will remain the same. What is needed to change this though is coming on albeit slowly. The masses need to move from their rural enclaves into towns to taste the bitterness having to fend for yourself while the GoK takes care of a few simpletons in the name of MPigs!

3. We do not have leadership with alternative style of doing things they all think in the same despotic ways, "our time to eat"! COTU has the numbers and maybe kidogo of ideology lakini tribal affiliations among its rank and file would not get it past the first round. NGO activists only lobby so as to attract funding and they are never known to be change agents.

4. We were fooled collectively that the new constitution is a panacea to all our problems of leadership and misrule and we blindly handed the captaincy of the craft to this new era to the same anti people agents. Finally the BIG question is: WHAT CAN WE (WAZUANS) DO FOR KENYA?
jawz1
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 03, 2011 12:19:39 PM

Rahatupu wrote:
Djinn wrote:

@Djinn, this is a spot on analysis of the current situation. However, IMHO, the size of the middle class in Kenya is too small compared to the poorer peasants. What we can have in Kenya is a peasant revolution guided by the middle class. However, several critical factors play out against such a dream:

1. As Che Guevara observed in the 1970s in Zaire, Africans have this kinship attachment that hinders them to think from an economic point of view. Can you imagine the Kikuyu, Luo, Kambo, Kalenjin, etc peasants joining ranks to revolt against RAO, WR, Kibs etc? Only when this important group is fully liberated from the idiocy of tribalism will there ever be a revolt on this soil similar to the Tunisian or Egyptian one. The point is we do not look at what we have in common from a class perspective it is time we raised our class consciousness to the next level.

2. As long as the masses continue to identify with the greedy politicians as "we" have e.g 8, ministers against "you" with 3, then the situation will remain the same. What is needed to change this though is coming on albeit slowly. The masses need to move from their rural enclaves into towns to taste the bitterness having to fend for yourself while the GoK takes care of a few simpletons in the name of MPigs!

3. We do not have leadership with alternative style of doing things they all think in the same despotic ways, "our time to eat"! COTU has the numbers and maybe kidogo of ideology lakini tribal affiliations among its rank and file would not get it past the first round. NGO activists only lobby so as to attract funding and they are never known to be change agents.

4. We were fooled collectively that the new constitution is a panacea to all our problems of leadership and misrule and we blindly handed the captaincy of the craft to this new era to the same anti people agents. Finally the BIG question is: WHAT CAN WE (WAZUANS) DO FOR KENYA?

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause
Start by signing the ICC petition, just takes 5 seconds of your time...
http://www.petitiononline.com/811976/petition-sign.html
"When the pupil is ready to learn, a teacher will appear." -- Zen proverb
Impunity
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 03, 2011 12:26:10 PM

I'm tired of kunung'unika Kenyan style.Let whatever be to happen.
You were the people who voted Yes in the referendum!Keep Quiet.
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

newfarer
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 03, 2011 12:30:05 PM

Saw an invite for a peaceful demonstration from freedom corner to the parliament today in support of ICC.Things have started.No wonder Wazua was down.
A government in panic.
Lets see if Marende will put Kenyans first in his ruling.

Like Abdikadir, asked why do we like doing things the hardway?

Kibakis government may have constructed the roads , FPE CDF but it may come out as a goverment that was out of touch with the people.

Moi was veeeeeery bad , but atleast he was in touch with the people on the ground.He knew the breaking limits of the people.eg the repealing sect 2A in 1990s.

punda amecheka
Alo
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 03, 2011 12:55:51 PM

/quote]
Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause
Start by signing the ICC petition, just takes 5 seconds of your time...
http://www.petitiononline.com/811976/petition-sign.html[/quote]

jawz 1. thanks for sharing.Applause Applause Applause Watu waende hague waache matezo. Laan walozitafuta kwa jasho lao zikawamalizie huko. I pity not one of them, Ocampo should mention the rest of the culprits, wakianza kwenda waendanishane wote mara one.
"A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man should have to seek Him first to find her."
Djinn
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 03, 2011 4:39:36 PM

@Rahatupu, you said:

"1. As Che Guevara observed in the 1970s in Zaire, Africans have this kinship attachment that hinders them to think from an economic point of view. Can you imagine the Kikuyu, Luo, Kambo, Kalenjin, etc peasants joining ranks to revolt against RAO, WR, Kibs etc? Only when this important group is fully liberated from the idiocy of tribalism will there ever be a revolt on this soil similar to the Tunisian or Egyptian one. The point is we do not look at what we have in common from a class perspective it is time we raised our class consciousness to the next level."

True, but the 70s are different from now. So much has changed - there has been some level of maturity in democracy, increased literacy and awareness of human rights.

You talk of peasants but I will talk of working class Kenyans and I will say this about them:

1 - Feeling of oppression (and getting really fed up)
a) You might be a Luo in Ahero or a Giriama in Mazeras or a Meru in Chogoria - when matatus take the law into their own hands, overcharge, overload, insult passengers, drop them anywhere they like, etc - this ONE aspect is symptomatic of a bigger problem - rule of law and disrespect for human rights. A 3 shilling increase in fuel results in a 10 shilling increase in fares. No one holds them in check. Meanwhile FKE fights back on proposals to increase wages and COTU sits on its hands. The traffic department and Min of Transport does f*** ALL to rein in this sector. This sector generates BILLIONS of shillings and the real only contribution to public coffers is by way of fuel levies. This is a monster of its own. Whether you are Wairimu, Odongo or Zulekha - you will feel violated EVERY day on the road either as a motorist or a commuter. It will not be because you are kikuyu/luo/rendille/etc

b) Rising cost of living and exploitation - I'd like to think that there is no TRIBE immune to this. It might be said that there are more wealthy people from one tribe than another - and that in itself leads down another road with many branches (weather, arable land, culture, political history, displacement etc). We cannot change much of that without opening a new can of worms and even if we resolve some of it, it will only affect the higher echelons in each tribe (0.5% of Kenyans) - lets look at the masses - at any given time, go to downtown Nairobi or to the slums - you will find all tribes living in hardship - of course they sometimes rally together for security and sense of being - but they hunger the same, suffer the same and strive the same. They also buy Jogoo for Kshs 80.

c) Constitutional rights - perhaps they should rephrase this to "constitutional rights for those with money" - I have said this before and perhaps we have all seen this. Poor people are treated worse when in the face of or in the hands of the law. You will be "Ngombe wewe!" as a poor hawker who was arrested selling wares without a licence. You will be "Bloody Kumbavu" if you are a househelp arrested in connection with domestic theft. Notwithstanding your culpability - you should be treated the same. Meanwhile, Bwana Tumbo Kubwa, Mheshimiwa Siasa Mingi and all the "pharmacists"/car dealers/bogus contractors/killers/etc - who have raided public coffers, engaged in corruption, grabbed land, etc etc - do not even see the inside of a police station, let alone a cell. Their cases drag on. Meanwhile, Mweni, Onyango and Idris languish in cells for days and weeks. Their cases drag on for months and years. And this does not happen because they are garba/samburu/kamba/teso/nandi - they are equally F--KED because they are of less than modest means.
2 - The wheat farmer in Narok, the maize farmer in Eldoret, the cane grower in Nyanza and the coffee farmer in Kiambu - whether peasant farmers or large scale, at any given point in time they each have some wants from the government - good roads, subsidies, access to export markets, access to capital, bans on imports that affect their prices, etc - when the government had NO useful policies and corrupt politicians do what they want all these people suffer.
3 - Labour laws and exploitation - please don't let me start on this - I might use more than colourful language to describe the two or three people who could make a difference for all the factory workers, construction workers, EPZ workers, etc - suffice to say, if we "stormed the bastille" - I'd have their necks under a guillotine in a flash.
4 – So, we look on – we are told 40% of fuel costs go to government – we pay for this as commuters, we pay for this as consumers (commodity transport costs) and then we also pay for this as electricity users (power generation). So, we pay. We pay VAT and PAYE. We pay city council licence fees, we pay bribes to avoid a day in court about an offence for which we should have been fined on the spot. Our kin get killed or mained in accidents – the big insurers hire lawyers who help the cases drag on so long that the interest alone on possible awards, becomes a revenue stream. The poor person is royally f***ed from all possible orifices.
5 - Meanwhile, they buy big cars, they ferry politicians all over the continent to help shield their own, they talk endlessly, there bellies grow bigger. We should have more teachers and smaller classes. We should have more roads and more security.

I could go on but my point is, there are more than enough things Kenyans have in common than what sets them apart (tribe, financial status) – there are more reasons that Kenyans can come together for a popular revolution - the working class Kenyan is bent over and taking it up the tail pipe – if the middle and upper class want to enjoy their wealth, security and well being – they should realize that you can't look on and watch the working class get pushed against the wall.

Everywhere the poor guy turns, he/she feels oppressed, exploited, harassed...unsure of his/her rights...hungry, financially struggling and lurching from crisis to crisis...no water, no electricity, no health care...it gets to a point, just as it did in Animal Farm where you can't distinguish between the farmers and the pigs - they all look the same....soon it will not be about tribe...
Where there have been successful revolutions, its been the masses - the hungry people, the deprived, the subjugated and oppressed...
Sooner or later the centre won't hold….
Djinn
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 03, 2011 4:55:09 PM

@jawz1 - petition? Good luck with that. Kenyans voted Yes for the new constitution and they got a piece of paper. Its no more different from the Traffic Act....or the Penal Code...or any other legislation in Kenya....if it cannot be upheld....

Anyway, I will share the link with Anyango the fish vendor near my place and Wairimu who sits next to her selling second hand clothes. Also Njoro the barber - I think they will find that very effective...
Djinn
#9 Posted : Thursday, February 03, 2011 5:06:40 PM

Djinn wrote:
@jawz1 - petition? Good luck with that. Kenyans voted Yes for the new constitution and they got a piece of paper. Its no more different from the Traffic Act....or the Penal Code...or any other legislation in Kenya....if it cannot be upheld....

Anyway, I will share the link with Anyango the fish vendor near my place and Wairimu who sits next to her selling second hand clothes. Also Njoro the barber - I think they will find that very effective...

As at 1701 hrs Thursday 3 Feb - just 5198 signatures.

Some few facts before we rush to sign up - lets see what ELSE could be effective

1 - three million internet connections and an estimated 8 million users in Kenya.

2 - 18 million mobile subscribers...SMS cost Kshs 1.

I think to have a paid for SMS poll (only for registered SIM cards) would be more inclusive and easier understood - it would cost 18 million but save us millions.
simonkabz
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 03, 2011 5:41:20 PM

Bannish all of them, then turn to who? Obiero gave a very spot on depiction of the arab revolutions vis a vis subsaharan africa... "...united by religion n purpose..." A revolution in Kenya can only be so bloody....bt noise works 4us just fine. Lets make noise, has worked severally albeit at the xpense of making appalling international headlines so often...
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
kadonye
#11 Posted : Thursday, February 03, 2011 10:29:29 PM

newfarer wrote:

Kibakis government may have constructed the roads , FPE CDF but it may come out as a goverment that was out of touch with the people.

Moi was veeeeeery bad , but atleast he was in touch with the people on the ground.He knew the breaking limits of the people.eg the repealing sect 2A in 1990s.

@newfarer You had a good point until you got to the point of comparing Moi and Kibaki and concluded that Moi is better.

Please don't forget how many men had their nyeti finywad at Nyayo hse before Moi could yield to pressure.

Kibaki plays with any loophole he can find that favours him. Moi, on the other hand was the law itself, he was always 'right'!

Mwai may have numerous weaknesses and messes, but comparing him to Moi is being too unfair to him or being too generous to Toroitich!

What a wicked man I am!The things I want to do,I don't do.The things I don't want to do I find myself doing
YesuWangu
#12 Posted : Friday, February 04, 2011 8:49:51 AM

kadonye wrote:
newfarer wrote:

@newfarer You had a good point until you got to the point of comparing Moi and Kibaki and concluded that Moi is better.

Please don't forget how many men had their nyeti finywad at Nyayo hse before Moi could yield to pressure.

Kibaki plays with any loophole he can find that favours him. Moi, on the other hand was the law itself, he was always 'right'!

Mwai may have numerous weaknesses and messes, but comparing him to Moi is being too unfair to him or being too generous to Toroitich!

May I take the liberty to refer you to the East African How Kibaki Squandered what he inherited

And excerpts from that article reads
Quote:
Kibaki is a man who is loyal to his friends, and his close circle, whose views he values, are elderly men whose imagination is no longer fired by international ambitions.

Most of them are now tribal chiefs, uninterested in matters beyond the next hill............

..............At a wider level, the ascent of Kibaki to power was a victory for Kenya’s old business and farming class. The Kibaki government is swayed by land and farming interests from Kenya’s central and eastern farming regions.

These are largely rich, conservative men and women, who don’t want any noise that will disturb the market. In that sense, Kibaki’s reluctance to stick his nose into matters outside Kenya has served the business class, allowing them to spread into the East Africa Community and Comesa markets and Southern Sudan, and to make fortunes none would even have dreamt of 10 years ago.

So you are right when you intimate that Kibaki may be better than Moi, but then better to whom? There is no denying that a lot of money has been made, hence a lot of burdens eased. But the question is to whom?

So I agree with Mr. Newfarer, that this government is out of touch with the people, the ordinary people. And that Kibaki and Moi presidencies are nothing but a zero sum scenario for Kenya.

So why did Moi get kicked out so viciously?
simonkabz
#13 Posted : Friday, February 04, 2011 9:26:37 AM

@that is a great article, but u didnt have to give us that useless excerpt which dilutes the whole thing...The first comment noma sana...no other country can manage n sustain so much noise fm everyone n remain in 1 piece. Yes, kenya is a DIPLOMATIC n a POLITICAL comedy, but united by citizen BICKERING, UJUAJI n ACTIVISM. Its a Kenyan peculiarity n cant help bt be a proud kenyan "mjuaji".
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
newfarer
#14 Posted : Friday, February 04, 2011 9:41:23 AM

Kadonye ,Im NOT Mois fan, Moi destroyed this country and my peer generation was one of the hardest hit .
What I'm saying is that the Strongman had his ears on the ground whether through the notorious special branch or his sycophants and knew where to stop.

I'm sure if he was still our president today we would have done a Ben Ali on him.He could have changed the constitution to rule for life but he left at the right time in 2002.

Kibaki and his men seems not aware of what is happening in the ground. There are IDPs in the camps in the fourth year of his rulership.

And he is frustrating all the efforts to ensure that no one imagines causing the chaos we saw in 2007.No prosecutions have been done locally so far and now he is frustrating international prosecutions.

punda amecheka
YesuWangu
#15 Posted : Friday, February 04, 2011 9:50:00 AM

simonkabz wrote:
@that is a great article, but u didnt have to give us that useless excerpt which dilutes the whole thing...The first comment noma sana...no other country can manage n sustain so much noise fm everyone n remain in 1 piece. Yes, kenya is a DIPLOMATIC n a POLITICAL comedy, but united by citizen BICKERING, UJUAJI n ACTIVISM. Its a Kenyan peculiarity n cant help bt be a proud kenyan "mjuaji".

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Pewa juice!
TAZ
#16 Posted : Friday, February 04, 2011 10:16:15 AM

newfarer wrote:
Kadonye ,Im NOT Mois fan, Moi destroyed this country and my peer generation was one of the hardest hit .
What I'm saying is that the Strongman had his ears on the ground whether through the notorious special branch or his sycophants and knew where to stop.

I'm sure if he was still our president today we would have done a Ben Ali on him.He could have changed the constitution to rule for life but he left at the right time in 2002.

Kibaki and his men seems not aware of what is happening in the ground. There are IDPs in the camps in the fourth year of his rulership.

And he is frustrating all the efforts to ensure that no one imagines causing the chaos we saw in 2007.No prosecutions have been done locally so far and now he is frustrating international prosecutions.

Very weird indeed, who are these men you are referring to and why haven't you said anything about the Right Honourable Prime Minister who plays a major role in government. The problem with Kenyans is that we always seem to isolate individuals whenever something goes wrong in government....all these politicians (MK, RAo,Kalonzo, Uhuru, Ruto) were in Moi's government but now we look at them as revolutionist.
newfarer
#17 Posted : Friday, February 04, 2011 10:33:49 AM

TAZ wrote:
[quote=newfarer] (MKarua RAo,Kalonzo, Uhuru, Ruto) were in Moi's government but now we look at them as revolutionist.

All this are not in my list of preferred presidential candidate .Id rather spoil my Presidential vote than vote for any of these.
I have severally said this and I mean it.See my signature.
punda amecheka
Rahatupu
#18 Posted : Friday, February 04, 2011 11:21:58 AM

@Djinn, Pls allow me to quote Karl Marx: The history of all hitherto existing societies is the history of class struggles......The executive of the modern State is but a committee for managing the common affairs of the whole bourgeoisie......The bourgeoisie has subjected the country to the rule of the towns. It has created enormous cities, has greatly increased the urban population as compared with the rural,and has thus rescued a considerable part of the population from the idiocy of rural life. (this can only be said a few African states in the North) where the masses live in towns.

This is what gives birth to class struggles. But more important is the birth of class consciousness as you very well said it. This consciousness is what lacks in huge chunks of our continent, yet the number of working class is not yet significant enough vis a vis the peasants are least revolutionary in nature.

I agree alot has changed since 1970s but majority of our people are still rural based and still enthralled with the "idiocy of rural life". That is why the only revolutions known in black Africa are Military Coups.
Djinn
#19 Posted : Friday, February 04, 2011 2:28:59 PM

Rahatupu wrote:
@Djinn, Pls allow me to quote Karl Marx: The history of all hitherto existing societies is the history of class struggles......The executive of the modern State is but a committee for managing the common affairs of the whole bourgeoisie......The bourgeoisie has subjected the country to the rule of the towns. It has created enormous cities, has greatly increased the urban population as compared with the rural,and has thus rescued a considerable part of the population from the idiocy of rural life. (this can only be said a few African states in the North) where the masses live in towns.

This is what gives birth to class struggles. But more important is the birth of class consciousness as you very well said it. This consciousness is what lacks in huge chunks of our continent, yet the number of working class is not yet significant enough vis a vis the peasants are least revolutionary in nature.

I agree alot has changed since 1970s but majority of our people are still rural based and still enthralled with the "idiocy of rural life". That is why the only revolutions known in black Africa are Military Coups.

@Rahatupu - I think Karl Marx's ideologies might not hold true today because of ONE thing - technology - rural life is no longer rural life. Rural folk no longer exist in isolation and are accesible by radio, TV and MOST important, MOBILE phones. Some of those mobiles have FM. And thats just Karl Marx - have you read the Green Book?
bwenyenye
#20 Posted : Friday, February 04, 2011 3:27:24 PM

Guys,

I think you are all right. But for comparing Moi and Kibaki. Other than having he title 'president' they have nothing else in common.

The way I see it is that what is happening in Kenya now is not really uncommon towards the end of any reign the world over. At such times, we normally have the worst form of critique and tyranny from the populace and government in equal measure. It has been correctly noted that Kibs came in with his guys and they have made their money. If anyone remembers th 1990-2000 era, M01 had the same story of cronies who entrenched impunity in this country. Kibaki has failed in a number of areas but let us give him his cookies too.

Our greatest failure as a country was allowing the 24 yeears one man rule.The regime kept us fixated on tribe and the big man syndrome far too long.We actaully have lost two genrations of leadership i.e people aged btn 50 to 70.That is why we are having problems getting a good fit for a president. It will take a while to change, maybe another 5years or so, for Kenyans to start being class oriented and ta realise that the government has NO money of its own and should be serving us and not the other way around. When that happens, then Kenya will surge forward. We should be very careful how we chose the next government. We should go for people who have proven themsleves e.g Abdul and Peter Kenneth and new blood. The four being touted by the media will be a big big mistake! But again remember, that the cycle will repeat itself at the end of their rulership.
I Think Therefore I Am