wazua Mon, Oct 7, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages«<2345>
kibaki nominates visram as chief justice
newfarer
#61 Posted : Monday, January 31, 2011 11:59:08 AM

Robinhood wrote:
@Ngalaka, thanks for pointing out what the opponents of the new constitution tried to bring to light way bank in July/ August last year but were drowned in emotive arguments. We have a constitution prepared to please everyone and it's implementation will just get trickier as we go along. To massage RO's ego, we pretended to give him a role in the implementation of the constitution while in actual sense he has no role other than as an MP. He can be consulted but this does not guarantee that he will take the final decision. He thinks 'consulted' means he is to be co-president. Sorry to burst your bubble Mr. Right honourable.

That said, the nominations are a sad day for Kenya. The implementation of the constitution will now be hostage to political machinations. With RO almost certainly neutered by the exit of the RV crowd from ODM, I doubt love for Kenya will prevail in the implementation phase.

This is the real point here and people cant see it.By the way when is the next elections , August 2012 Dec 2012 or Kibaki for life?

Somebody might decide to use the letters in the constitution and forget the spirit of the constitution .

punda amecheka
YesuWangu
#62 Posted : Monday, January 31, 2011 12:01:28 PM

bwenyenye wrote:
Guys,

I hope we realise that only ONE person has EXECUTIVE authority in Kenya. i.e The President of the Republic of Kenya! Period. The next power level is held by the legislature. Form what I can see, Baks will have appointees 'APPROVED' by Parliament. If they do that, then they take full responsibility.

...Iko mtu alipgwa bafu chafu na Koffi Annan na bado hajafungua macho!!

I implore you to stop looking at this thing through one man you-know-who.

We know that parliament cannot be trusted in anything substantial. If anything, parliament is usually objective immediately after being sworn in, then the enthusiasm wanes and members retreat to their comfortable enclaves e.g. after falling out with other members etc you know the script.

There are a few good members who live up to their professional ethics and from what we have seen they have all the intentions of delivering a better governed Kenya. But they are often overwhelmed. Case in point, its only Martha Karua and Mutula Kilonzo whose voices were heard against parliaments move to withdraw Kenya from ICC just to protect 3 out of some 6 men.

But the other members....they dont use their professional training for the country but to get only what they want and so on. They go to the highest bidder especially towards elections. Isnt that why we did not want a parliamentary system?

The president should have guided parliament by giving parliament the correct things to chew, as it were.
McReggae
#63 Posted : Monday, January 31, 2011 12:02:41 PM

Shame on you Kioko Kilukumo lawyer to a suspended minister over fraud case before the courts lawyer widhdraws from the case after being nominated DPP!!!!IMPUNITY!!!!Shame on you
Shame on you
http://www.nation.co.ke/...2/-/lq8rbh/-/index.html

..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
McReggae
#64 Posted : Monday, January 31, 2011 1:07:05 PM

Judicial Srvice Commission rejects Kibaki's nominations of Vishram as CJ. Statement read by high court registrar in the presence of all the commissioner!!!!

http://www.nation.co.ke/...-/11fblbpz/-/index.html

Judicial Service Commission wants names of nominees withdrawn, asks Kibaki and Raila to put country first and reconsider their respective positions.Applause Applause Applause

kingfisher
#65 Posted : Monday, January 31, 2011 1:27:39 PM

Waweke hizi kazi kwa gazeti!!! Me and my clan needs to apply. Mac doba's clan too. Guka's clan too. It's called equal opportunities for all. Otherwise wao ni MYS!!
When I have money, I get rid of it quickly, lest it find a way into my heart.
xyzee
#66 Posted : Monday, January 31, 2011 3:18:30 PM

I see RAO using Marende to block the bill to discuss nominations from being debated, remember the leader of govt bussiness issue?

one of the ODM fanatics will raise in a point of order and ask for the speakers direction/rulling and marende will rule that the executive need to agree before forwarding the names?

I see this going the Ringera route....
Jus Blazin
#67 Posted : Tuesday, February 01, 2011 8:20:48 AM

Question.
a) If the JSC vets and presents the mnomination list to the 2 principals, and they consult but dont agree, what happens?
b) If they agree but Parliament does not approve, what happens?
c) If the cycle is repeated (i.e. JSC vets afresh but a) or b) above still occurs) what happens?

With the many bodies involved in the appointments, what happens during standoffs? Are we finding ourselves in a Theatre of the Absurd?
Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity. ~ Lucius Annaeus Seneca
2 Miles
#68 Posted : Tuesday, February 01, 2011 1:47:25 PM

Problem is we waste time and effort where we ought not to.

These subject illustrates my point well. Nomination of these office holders should be easy. There is a well laid down procedure. Why not just follow it??? Where we should experience problems is when it comes to dealing with the huge backlog of cases and the speedy and fair resolution of current and future cases. Basically , transforming our judiciary to an efficient institution.

But again this is Kenya. Selfish politics are the order of the day. Somebody's interest are always at play. And again we have enough noisemakers ( read sycophants )in Parliament who ensure useless topics remain in the headline for a very long time.

Am afraid that these talk by BAKS and his P.A ( man from Mwingi North ) to the A.U. of creation of credible institutions is nothing but a hoax.
bwenyenye
#69 Posted : Tuesday, February 01, 2011 1:57:00 PM

YesuWangu wrote:
bwenyenye wrote:
Guys,

I hope we realise that only ONE person has EXECUTIVE authority in Kenya. i.e The President of the Republic of Kenya! Period. The next power level is held by the legislature. Form what I can see, Baks will have appointees 'APPROVED' by Parliament. If they do that, then they take full responsibility.

...Iko mtu alipgwa bafu chafu na Koffi Annan na bado hajafungua macho!!

I implore you to stop looking at this thing through one man you-know-who.

We know that parliament cannot be trusted in anything substantial. If anything, parliament is usually objective immediately after being sworn in, then the enthusiasm wanes and members retreat to their comfortable enclaves e.g. after falling out with other members etc you know the script.

There are a few good members who live up to their professional ethics and from what we have seen they have all the intentions of delivering a better governed Kenya. But they are often overwhelmed. Case in point, its only Martha Karua and Mutula Kilonzo whose voices were heard against parliaments move to withdraw Kenya from ICC just to protect 3 out of some 6 men.

But the other members....they dont use their professional training for the country but to get only what they want and so on. They go to the highest bidder especially towards elections. Isnt that why we did not want a parliamentary system?

The president should have guided parliament by giving parliament the correct things to chew, as it were.

Boss, I am in no way supporting any of these goons. I just want to show us how the system works and all the hullabaloo is just noise. Let us hope that the MPs can save the day... We need to strenegthen our institutions and not persons. We need to realise that Baks does not do things by himself. There is a whole batallion of a think tank who do nothing but analyse the various situations and present their findings to him. They must have anticipated all this noise and have a plan B.

After observing the entire legal frataernity engage in their favorite passtime, I have come to find only Mutula and Martha Karua worthy of my ear. To me, if they say it is wrong, then it is!
I Think Therefore I Am
Jus Blazin
#70 Posted : Tuesday, February 01, 2011 9:13:32 PM

Aha, so he was consulted! Problem is Marende plays to the gallery with the loudest noise. remember Leader of Govt business issue? remember the MPs tax paying issue? I predict he will tell the principals to consult.
Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity. ~ Lucius Annaeus Seneca
simonkabz
#71 Posted : Tuesday, February 01, 2011 9:16:05 PM

I have a new thought. Allegedly, RAO kept Baks waiting on friday afternoon 4 a purpoted phone call to eventually pick the names b4 the AU wkd meet (RAO hasnt disputed this). The call never came, n an angry Baks construed this to be sabotage against his anti-ocampo campaign via the AU. The infuriated Baks released the names....The rest is history....few cents
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
vinii
#72 Posted : Tuesday, February 01, 2011 9:35:35 PM

politicians are very strange people. Did anyone listen to what mutula kilonzo told bbc this morning and the huge about turn in the afte? Eisssshhhhh meanwhile our wise speaker has to make a ruling this thurday - i don't envy his job..
If you are an eagle don't hang around with chickens; chickens don't fly....
kadonye
#73 Posted : Tuesday, February 01, 2011 9:39:42 PM

So there was consultation...but no concurrence.The law did not envisage this.Hii mambo iende kortini for interpretation
What a wicked man I am!The things I want to do,I don't do.The things I don't want to do I find myself doing
McReggae
#74 Posted : Tuesday, February 01, 2011 10:32:08 PM

The justification fof MK's actions are palpable in this house, very few concerned 'bout the spirit n' letter of the constitution......it's all on the PM being put on his 'suppossed place'.....n' we think we r moving forward!!!!
petro08
#75 Posted : Tuesday, February 01, 2011 11:18:54 PM

@Simonkabz. You are right. This is what happened.

It would have helped matters if Raila had in the first place admitted that he was consulted but they did not agree.

But the bigger problem is the wording of the constitution. That word "consultation" should never have made it into the constitution. There is no guarantee that two men with ego will agree soon. They may even decide to maintain their positions and never agree. What will be the way out? Even what your are calling the "spirit" will not help matters.

Marende is in a very tricky position.

But this is the truth" If that list had one Kikuyu and one Luo" There would have been consultations. Very unfortunate.
Robinhood
#76 Posted : Wednesday, February 02, 2011 8:34:21 AM

@Petroli, spot on!!!
Great men are not always wise, neither do the aged understand judgement...
Rahatupu
#77 Posted : Wednesday, February 02, 2011 2:34:17 PM

The appointments are:

K+K+K-(Visram) = Impunity!Sad Sad

kadonye
#78 Posted : Wednesday, February 02, 2011 2:46:07 PM

I blame the impasse on mjuaji Nzamba and his team of arrogant know-it-all 'experts'.

When people tried to point out such issues during the constitution review process they sneered at them.
What a wicked man I am!The things I want to do,I don't do.The things I don't want to do I find myself doing
kingfisher
#79 Posted : Wednesday, February 02, 2011 2:57:33 PM

and now they are using our money for advertisements......how much is it to pay for those adverts? How many hungry mouths could it have fed??
When I have money, I get rid of it quickly, lest it find a way into my heart.
XSK
#80 Posted : Wednesday, February 02, 2011 3:08:42 PM

Rahatupu wrote:
The appointments are:

K+K+K-(Visram) = Impunity!Sad Sad

@Rahatupu,

Dont stoop that low. I think and hope you know better!
You will know that you have arrived when money and time are not mutually exclusive "events" in you life!