wazua Sun, Sep 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

blatant IP theft and a scam?
Djinn
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 3:44:27 PM

I saw a facebook ad about pencil sketches and followed it

http://www.pencilportraits.co.ke/index.html

Hmm...looks good...at the back of my mind I thought "How sure are we the sketches are not photshopped or paintbrushed or whatever graphic-apped... you could do a scan, render a black and white, add pencil effects, smudge, smoothen, etc....

Price range between kshs 4000 and 12000....so I decided to check on the "Letters from clients link"

http://www.pencilportrai...tters_from_clients.html

Then I knew for sure it was a rip off after reading that quote at the top of the page....so I took an excerpt of the quote and googled it...and voila...two results...that site and

http://www.pencil-portra...cilportraitclients.html

a near verbatim reproduction of it. Being someone who earns part of his living off original work, I have written to both addresses and given both links...

It may be that one is imitating the other....it may be that BOTH are doing photoshop portraits.

Having said that, I will rasterise, vectorise, smudge and smoothen your pictures at 400 bob each. To make it look real, I'll go over it with an HB2 pencil....

Djinn
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 4:20:49 PM

I withdraw my remarks attributed to both, suggesting they photoshop - it appears Darla Dixon is a bona fide pencil artist.
Elder
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 4:37:19 PM

I absolutely have no idea about what you are taking about.

Btw do you do vectors?
He who can express in words the ardour of his love, has but little love to express. - Petrach, Son. (That men by various ways arrive at the same end. - Montaigne, The Essays of.)
IDP
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 4:57:23 PM

I get what its all about, a kenyan thief has stolen a white mans web content and posting it as his own.Sad This is a crime. Our people from the lake, pliz style up.
jawz1
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 4:59:58 PM

IDP wrote:
I get what its all about, a kenyan thief has stolen a white mans web content and posting it as his own.Sad This is a crime. Our people from the lake, pliz style up.

Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you
"When the pupil is ready to learn, a teacher will appear." -- Zen proverb
Elder
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 5:13:44 PM

I had not gone to the links provided before posting having had no time on my hand then. Have since visited all the links and Djinn is right. There is a blatant case of copy and pasting with the only editing going to the names of the clients posting comments. Clear case of copyright infringement. Shameless too. Maybe naive for good measure as it is very clear that one cannot get away with such an act on the internet.

The culprit is most likely the Kenyan site as domain name pencilportraits.co.ke was created on 16 Dec 2010 and the domain name pencil-portrait-drawing-artist.com on 1 December 2005.
He who can express in words the ardour of his love, has but little love to express. - Petrach, Son. (That men by various ways arrive at the same end. - Montaigne, The Essays of.)
Djinn
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 06, 2011 7:30:03 PM

Elder wrote:
I had not gone to the links provided before posting having had no time on my hand then. Have since visited all the links and Djinn is right. There is a blatant case of copy and pasting with the only editing going to the names of the clients posting comments. Clear case of copyright infringement. Shameless too. Maybe naive for good measure as it is very clear that one cannot get away with such an act on the internet.

The culprit is most likely the Kenyan site as domain name pencilportraits.co.ke was created on 16 Dec 2010 and the domain name pencil-portrait-drawing-artist.com on 1 December 2005.

Good thinking - I also did a whois search but did not bother to look at the dates...