wazua Wed, May 22, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Best ISP
KulaRaha
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 9:19:00 AM

So,the cable is here,but NOT ONE single ISP is advertising to boast about higher speeds/lower costs.

Either they're all idiots,or are too busy stealing from us with substandard service.

So,which ISP does one sign up with?

Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
Djinn
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 9:42:00 AM

@Kula Raha - pls see the topic entitled 'Seacom' up there....anyway,its unlikely that all ISPs and all major data carriers have interconnected - SEACOM claims it has 5 ISPs connected yet will not say their names. The ISPs are unlikely to offer this capacity until they have tested it themselves....so maybe till end August. I see on another post a lot of rave abt SCOM 3G services - but like I always suspect,there are scom people hawking 3G here and touting the network...

The problem with equality is that we desire that it be with those that have more than us rather that those that have less
KulaRaha
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 9:48:00 AM

Only 5 isps have signed up? and no one wants to disclose who they are?

Its like having a car that runs on water...but keeping it a secret...

Ridiculous!

McReggae
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 10:37:00 AM

Kularaha,dont forget Keringet water is more expensive than petrol!!!

The chief value of money lies in the fact that one lives in a world in which it is overestimated.
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
KulaRaha
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 10:55:00 AM

1 litre of Keringet is 50 bob.

Sigiriri
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 12:52:00 PM

Let me agree with Kularaha. ISPs have not been keen to move. I read malice in this way - they may have had long contracts with previous bandwidth suppliers and want to make up this loss before giving us increased bandwidth at same costs - not reductions on current bills!

With time though,we'll benefit. But first,they must utilise these satellite 'stock' to the fullest before moving.... does this make sense - just my thots

Baraka za Mungu ni za Ajabu
githinji4
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:04:00 PM

There's this ISP called Internet Solutions which is part of dimension data and doesn't waste so much time on billboards but it's fabulous in terms of support and customer service!!! They're located at the chancery 7th floor. They have a big stake of 12.5% on seacom.

Joe G
KulaRaha
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:11:00 PM

I think ISPs waiting to reduce pricing/increase speed will soon become extinct.

There will always be a forward thinking start-up with none of the baggage they carry,ready to do business at the right price! Imagine having a small ISP (limited to a region/neighborhood) with the cheapest rates and fastest speeds...consumers will drop the big slow hippos so fast!

Just watch,we may be seeing the start of the end of traditional heavyweights such as Access,UUnet,Wananchi etc....

I dont think Safcom will lead the way due to congestion issues...

Pudo
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 3:44:00 PM

Anyone with info if zain is on the seacom thing?
I was almost dumping zain but im waiting to see if their speeds will improve.
bird_man
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 5:13:00 PM

Guys be patient. Our company was paying 200k/month for very poor service/low speeds with a certain ISP. KDN gave us an offer that was matching with Safcom's OneCom....basically i now download my stuff at around 700kbps daytime and 1.3Mbps at night for half the cost we were paying before. They promised to review this low price to even lower later this year when fibre is fully operational and even put it on paper.

Me thinks,talk to Sales people at KDN,Safcom and Access Kenya........they are busy laying fibre and netting high worth clients on a one-to-one level rather than doing TV/Newspaper adverts that net 100,000 'small fish' who will give you a lot of customer care headache for the price of one corporate.

The course of the world is changed by those who dare dream!
Formally employed people often live their employers' dream & forget about their own.
wanyo
#11 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 6:12:00 PM

Guys you are six - 12 months ahead. did you see how much they are paying to be connected - its investments. the real compe is coming when Teams & Eassy arrive.
i too