wazua Fri, Mar 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
mpesa reversals
gladie
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2009 7:58:00 AM

i sent money to a wrong recepient in mpaesa.called safaricom and they say that once money has been withdrawn cannot be reversed.i sent to one peter macharia 0722230255.calling safaricom they cannot reverse since the person has withdrawn 5 mins after sending.so is tghis is new future that we have.skerians..is this is the way to go

gladie
so kenyans what are you telling me....i am thinking beyond mpesa sending cash.am looking at paying bills through it.if i deposit cash in my account today...i get a slip showing whom i have sent to .both account and name.rem mpesa only aks you to confirm a number.the name comes after you have sent the money..so tell me...is this the future of paying elec bills and other utulities...bankers...mpesa should go.........imagine depositing cash to you account or someones account and there is an error..there is no reversal...are you aware that if i make a mistake the account names and nos dont match at the bank they wont process my payment

@ x this is an inefficient system.if i go to the supermarket and use my card,it swipes twice and debits twice i can always reverse it.

so why is this mpesa service so ineficeint...michael needs to really wake up........

cxz
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:05:00 AM

you are supposed to double check before pressing the send button. There is nothing much the service provider can do over spilt milk

'A stone is heavy,and the sand weighty; but a fool’s wrath is heavier than them both.' (Proverbs 27:3).
johwak
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:05:00 AM

of course that should be your loss coz if the person has withdrawn,there is no way the money can be reversed.

johnie the walker
mtaalam
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:08:00 AM

I think you just need to be more careful untill something better comes up. It's like asking for a refund for dialing a wrong number,it would be very hard for safaricom to know that you send money to the wrong person?

The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second best time is now.
Gordon Gekko
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:25:00 AM

If you by error deposited cash into my bank account,would you be able to reverse it? So why should Mpesa be any different? I have mentioned here before that if one can recall cash sent,this undermines Mpesa as a payment mode. Imagine going to Nakumatt,paying by Mpesa and once outside the store with the goods,you reverse the payment.
mali ya nguvu
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:30:00 AM

The ideas advanced in this forum make sense about reversals.....however a true solution shall only be available when safaricon configures the software such that we choose the beneficiary from the phonebook.....

Most people in phonebook enjoy some relations with sender and therefore you can always track back your money without involving the service provider.....

is this too much to ask? is MJ in the house to advice how far the project has gone to achieve objective?

Peace to all men of Goodwill
Magigi
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:44:00 AM

...Does it mean there aren't afew good 'men' left. Why did the fellow withdraw the cash without finding out where it came from? Njaa nyingi? Somebody once sent 600 ksh to me by mistake. I tried to imagine how somebody struggled to get that money and some mother or father was eagerly awaiting the money at shaggs to buy unga. I amost spend the whole day at Safcom to get the sender direct the money to the right person.
gladie
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2009 9:11:00 AM

please note that all banks have a place for account number and account name.you can never put money in a wrong account since the cashier will querry if details dont match...and most will not process the deposit.i had an instance with coop where i gave a customer a kes account and he was banking dollars,they wouldnt process it to th usd account without confirmation so he had to call me and reconfirm

so the question of reversing is impossible since i dont need to reverse since these errors were covered long ago...and by the way.if i gave you a cheque and i mean bankers cheque and our deal goes sour..i can always stop it...we need to confirm both name and number of recepient. you know each digit in the safricom number is someones line.eg if your no is 0721****5*,the next one0721****6* is another persons number....therefore if and if one keys in a different digit you are sure it is going to another persons line.

gladie
johwak
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2009 9:18:00 AM

i thought we are talking about a money transfer service and not a banking service here.if the wrong recipient has already cashed in the amount,who will compensate you? you have to be very careful when sending money.

johnie the walker
Shak
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2009 9:18:00 AM

I think you should not blame safcom for your carelessness. Before your mpesa transaction goes through,you always get a message of confirmation on the identity and number of the person to whom you're sending the money. I guess you've learnt your lesson albeit the hard way

smile
Fundaah
#11 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2009 9:24:00 AM

To stop payment just send an sms to 234 immediately!!!!!!!!!!!.....dont wait until the wrong receipient does any transaction..

It was a 'typo' hehe don't crucify this guy .. give him a solution

I mean fundamental analysis,you get me? Fundamental analysis of a business involves analyzing its financial statements and health,its management and competitive advantages,and its competitors
Isaiah 65:17-Look! I am creating new heavens and a new earth, and no one will even think about the old ones anymore
Njunge
#12 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2009 9:35:00 AM

Guys,stop bashing Gladie and kindly say if there is a smarter way of confirming the recipient other than jotting down the number on a piece of paper......I have been a victim of the same and i have been thinking,since Safcom has the number and name of the recipient (assuming he/she is a safcom and Mpesa registered subscriber),is it not possible to have this in the confirmation?.....say something like,'Are you sure you want to send the money to Gaudencia Waitherero'

God gives,mugikuyu takes.
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
gladie
#13 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2009 9:40:00 AM

@shak..........i am not blaming safcom..am talking of an inefficient system that has loop holes.if the confirmation had a name i wouldnt have sent the money in the first place..but i only had a number...i dont expect the guy to give back the 5k to be precise......but im looking at elec bills that are not posted and one has no receipt....just a confirmation in my small nokia 2100 showing i paid....so do i go to kplc with the sms after elec has been disconnected. or do i got safcom first.
for how long do i keep them sms since i know kplc can produce a hefty bill with unposted receipts.
Then one will remeber and tell me that mpesa is no bank....but it is an pesa service.
.since there are no receipts...atms will give receipts for elec bill payments...or you have your account statements for refferals.

again at shaq have you ever used money gram....do you know you cant make a mistake...since the details needed are good and stand the test...money gram aint a bank it is a money transfer service..too.like mpesa

gladie
Fundaah
#14 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2009 9:44:00 AM

Njung'e ..... very well said...

I hope safaricom guys here are copying.

I mean fundamental analysis,you get me?

Fundamental analysis of a business involves analyzing its financial statements and health,its management and competitive advantages,and its competitors
Isaiah 65:17-Look! I am creating new heavens and a new earth, and no one will even think about the old ones anymore
The General
#15 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2009 9:47:00 AM

how about they put a debit in that account and bar the Identification Number from future use of Mpesa service until matter is sorted?

The thicker the thigh the sweeter the pie.
gladie
#16 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2009 9:51:00 AM

thanksyou.....alot my friend.said what i was looking at in very few words

think twice.....this pesa service needs alot of doing

gladie
Fundaah
#17 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2009 9:57:00 AM

The general .. that's another option...and if any cash is send or deposited in the stopped account,it could be used to settle the wrongly withdrawn cash...as someone said in a thread here....we lack HONESTY our society.....I dont know why yet we say we(Kenyan ) are 80% Christians and 19% Muslims

I mean fundamental analysis,you get me?

Fundamental analysis of a business involves analyzing its financial statements and health,its management and competitive advantages,and its competitors
Safaricom Fan
#18 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:19:00 AM

In very rare occasions will we respond to any blog but we are listening. In the meantime,send your quarry immediately to 234 to suspend a faulty M-pesa transaction. Safaricom agents on the ground should be able to assist you on this.
Thank you for remaining connected through Safaricom.

Innovation is the key to staying ahead of the perk.
The General
#19 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:53:00 AM

I kind of figured it was a bunch of safaricom guys looking for solutions.

The General
#20 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:56:00 AM

@ safaricom,

Now i know safaricom has a smart team,keep it up