wazua Tue, Sep 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Subaru Leone - need advice on this car
Djinn
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 03, 2010 10:53:22 AM

1988, Station Wagon, 1.8 litre engine.

A friend wants to acquire this and has heard they have issues with constant velocity joints, drive shafts and differentials...

Does anyone have experience with this car? Specifically:

1 - Main problems experienced with this car;
2 - Parts availability (and where)
3 - Maintenance costs (parts - e.g. CV joints, shocks, etc)
4 - Parts compatibility with Legacy/Imprezza - are there parts (engine/gearbox/suspension) that fit the Leone and legacy/imprezza? Alternator, distributor, suspension, steering? Just want to know if this helps parts availability.
5 - What would be a good price for a fairly mechanically decent, but an eye sore, be?

Thanks

Impunity
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 03, 2010 11:44:33 AM

1988 Subru?
Ha.
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

Djinn
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 03, 2010 11:55:51 AM

Impunity wrote:
1988 Subru?
Ha.

what? Its not a typo. Do we see any mid 90s - mahindras, daewoos and hyundais?

We do see many 70-80s toyotas, peugeots, beamers and mercs?

So where is the problem looking for an old durable thing?
TD
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 03, 2010 11:56:01 AM

@Djinn

Unless you are getting it for a song - meaning reeeeally cheap, and you enjoy trips to the garage every weekend, I would advise you leave it.

1988 is a very old car, subaru parts aren't always the cheapest, the car is a guzzler, and by today's standards not prestigious any more, its just like a toyota DX of the same age.
Djinn
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 03, 2010 12:34:37 PM

TD wrote:
@Djinn

Unless you are getting it for a song - meaning reeeeally cheap, and you enjoy trips to the garage every weekend, I would advise you leave it.

1988 is a very old car, subaru parts aren't always the cheapest, the car is a guzzler, and by today's standards not prestigious any more, its just like a toyota DX of the same age.

@TD - its not abt prestige with him - rather not being part of the "my toyota" crowd. Also I personally think its a pretty rugged car. I myself favour non-Japanese cars and some Wazuans can probably attest to that.

I also think if someone is savvy about things cars, the trips to the garage will be fewer. I run a 1993 Peugeot 504 - three times a year to Kampala and elsewhere (Mombasa, Muranga, Nyeri, Nakuru, etc) - and I have never once been stuck at the roadside because I know the car and am able to do preventive maintenance - I know when something is about to break. I have changed wheel bearings myself (700km from home) along the road side, ball joints etc - and I have no background in mechanics - so there - I think its really abt the owner. I have diagnosed correctly what mechanics diagnose incorrectly - so I avoid needless repairs that do not solve the problem. So, this guy too is like that. And with older cars its almost a no-brainer dealing with carburettors and non electronic things (ECU, EFI, etc).

Pls give details of what are the problem areas - it seems you have had a bad experience or know someone who has.

Djinn
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 03, 2010 12:47:47 PM

and, @TD - I think the car's vintage is not really a factor - we see many 126 series Mercs (1984-1990) in so much better condition than very many cars. Also many Merc 123 series (with local plates like KW, KX_, KY_, etc) - and their resale value is pretty high - between 200 and 400k. The 126 series are between 400-800k for a 25 year old car.

I guess with Japanese cars in general the resale value is rather high (e.g. Datsun 1200 pickup, Toyota Landcruiser, Toyota Hilux, Nissan Patrol, Datsun 120Y, etc etc). Of course the rest have as high a resale value like a used Tusker can smile

With European cars the resale value is low though they are durable (BMW, Mercedes, Peugeot, Landrover mainly) and their parts are mostly genuine.

I think if the vehicle is well engineered to start with, despite some problem areas which SHOULD be fixed with genuine parts and no short cuts on service/maintenance, it should be worth keeping for a few more years.

So we need to know, from those that have experience, what are the main issues?

Sometimes we see negative vehicle reviews because people skimp on maintenance and then give a car a bad name.

This guy is willing to revamp the main parts to the tune of Kshs 80-100k (bearings, CV joints, steering overhaul, tyres, major service, shocks, bushes, etc)
bwenyenye
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 03, 2010 4:04:12 PM

@Djinn,

I am not very conversant with Subaru cars but I agree with you that anyvehicle is just as good as the owner. I appreciate much more an 'old' well maintained car than a KBM or KBN probox or is it Succeed or premio... ( those cars without character)... I do not think there is much to think about on a Subare Leonne.The guy should go for it and learn as he rebuilds it. It is the best way to learn teh vehicle actually. The infor I have about it is that it is a very reliaible Curburattor car. Its consumption is actually much better than the succesor, the legacy by far.
I Think Therefore I Am
jamplu
#8 Posted : Thursday, November 04, 2010 1:21:32 PM

if you buying a second hand car locally its always advisable to know how the car has been maintained whether its a KBN or KST. Very few kenyans really maintain their cars.
Regarding the Leone ... think twice! at the end of the day i guarantee you, you will wish you had bought a new one or invested the cash in something else.
If you want something different get some datsun and work on it but subaru is a no no.
Djinn
#9 Posted : Thursday, November 04, 2010 1:46:05 PM

jamplu wrote:
if you buying a second hand car locally its always advisable to know how the car has been maintained whether its a KBN or KST. Very few kenyans really maintain their cars.
Regarding the Leone ... think twice! at the end of the day i guarantee you, you will wish you had bought a new one or invested the cash in something else.
If you want something different get some datsun and work on it but subaru is a no no.

Pls share details - I cannot infer much from "no no" - details pls
jamplu
#10 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2010 10:49:36 AM

Djinn wrote:
jamplu wrote:

Ok simply put subaru is a high maintenance car in terms of price for spare parts. Unless the car was bought new (not mtumba) in your family and you know the history and has also been very well maintained it will cost you a fortune to keep it in good condition.If its the model that used a Carburetor or Single Point Fuel injection it will cost you in terms of fuel unless the engine is in mint condition.
On the other hand there are few guyz who are experts in subarus the majority of fundis around trust me ni watu wa kubahatisha and from interacting with the few subaru experts i know very few will spare you the time for a project car unless you paying them very well.

Tokyo
#11 Posted : Monday, November 08, 2010 7:09:16 AM

Djinn wrote:
1988, Station Wagon, 1.8 litre engine.

A friend wants to acquire this and has heard they have issues with constant velocity joints, drive shafts and differentials...

Does anyone have experience with this car? Specifically:

1 - Main problems experienced with this car;
2 - Parts availability (and where)
3 - Maintenance costs (parts - e.g. CV joints, shocks, etc)
4 - Parts compatibility with Legacy/Imprezza - are there parts (engine/gearbox/suspension) that fit the Leone and legacy/imprezza? Alternator, distributor, suspension, steering? Just want to know if this helps parts availability.
5 - What would be a good price for a fairly mechanically decent, but an eye sore, be?

Thanks

the said cars had some issues then.They had a RECALL.
work to prosper
Impunity
#12 Posted : Monday, November 08, 2010 11:37:50 AM

jamplu wrote:
Djinn wrote:
jamplu wrote:

Ok simply put subaru is a high maintenance car in terms of price for spare parts. Unless the car was bought new (not mtumba) in your family and you know the history and has also been very well maintained it will cost you a fortune to keep it in good condition.If its the model that used a Carburetor or Single Point Fuel injection it will cost you in terms of fuel unless the engine is in mint condition.
On the other hand there are few guyz who are experts in subarus the majority of fundis around trust me ni watu wa kubahatisha and from interacting with the few subaru experts i know very few will spare you the time for a project car unless you paying them very well.

My 1 cent,leave the sub alone.
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

Munano A.Njuki
#13 Posted : Friday, November 20, 2015 11:47:06 PM

Subaru Leone very good and reliable,using one over 10 years(1984 Model) maintain it well and will serve u well.Spares expensive ?,not really.Just some advice,always get to know your car