wazua Sun, Jun 30, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Letter to COOP BANK-KIMATHI St.
Coiler
#1 Posted : Friday, June 05, 2009 6:03:00 PM

Dear all,Anyone who is an account holder with Coop Bank-Kimathi st??Its full of 'pumbavu's'.I recently banked two cheques of substantial amounts from disposal of securities and loan from sacco and i was shocked at the time of withdrawal when i was asked a million funny querrys by customer service reps especially a brown 'gentleman'( Kevin or Colins)who was extremely rude as if he owns the bank who told me on the face that we dont encourage Money Laundering.I have some questions for coop bank:1.Why did you clear the cheques if actually the cheques were suspicious-It beats the logic of the true meaning of clearing. When i went to the bank on 4th June 09 for withdrawal is wen the bank employees started making useless calls to the drawers of the cheques.You are so unprofessional.2.I have been with coop for two yrs and i channnel my salo through that account.Why scrutinise me as opened the account yesterday.3.Why do you deny me my right to my cash by asking me why im withdrawing the cash yet you did not ask me wen i was struggling making all the deposits.4.Do you know that we have more that 50 banks in kenya?5.Do you know we own co-op bank?? You are all under our mercies.Finally,i finally managed to get my cash and trust me,i am on my way out.Sk members,have u ever been in the same situation?Move before you are got offguard.

The last of the single breed
Gordon Gekko
#2 Posted : Friday, June 05, 2009 6:20:00 PM

First,this should have been written to Gideon Muriuki,unless he is an Skerian. Two,you don't seem to be aware of banking post 9-11. If you withdraw 20K each month,a withdrawal of 100K will raise alarms (it is also for your the protection of your own money). Three,any bank worth it's name will do the same,so leaving will not resolve the problem. I think you just got a little drunk with an 'unusual' amount in your account.

nanfor
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 06, 2009 5:02:00 AM

no GG,if the bank cleared the cheque what other questions are they asking?.....Second,the money is not theirs to ask questions about....As long as their identity checks have been done,they have no right to ask you stupid questions....When alarm bells are raised,I assume they have a fraud department which should investigate. Not some 60k a month teller asking you stupid questions......Move my friend. If your bank has no customer service,then its not worth it. A bank worth its salt has better ways to do due diligence.
simonkabz
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 06, 2009 5:23:00 AM

Same case with coop naks. They even claimed I was forging the signature. 1 long hr later i got my cash n offered them a divorce. Slow stupid kenyans!

Dudu mbaya!
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
brightstar
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 06, 2009 5:42:00 AM

Co-op bank has very uncouth and pumbavu tellers and managers. I experienced a similar situation 3 years ago when depositing a cheque for a loan I had taken from a sacco. On another occasion,I used my debit card to buy stuff from a supermarket then one week later the bank called to tell me I had overdrawn my account and that they were freezing the account. They could not explain how I overdrew the account yet I only had an ATM card and no chequebook. I closed the account as soon as they sorted out their stupid account entries.
Magigi
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 06, 2009 6:30:00 AM

There is no bank that will not ask you questions if the amounts involved are staggering. At my bank,a reputable one,which may be you will be moving to,I bought a bankers cheque. I found out that what I wanted to do with the cheque was taking a bit longer than I had expeceted. So I went to redeposit the cheque. Guess what? I was asked to write a composition on why I was taking the cheque back. Remember it was a cheque drawn from my account and I was taking it back to the same account. And I was payig 600 ksh both ways for the transactions!. Any way to cut the story short I was so irriated I must have spewed venom on the guy handling my case. All banks are the same. stay where you are...
nanfor
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 06, 2009 6:59:00 AM

Magigi,

This is why I complain about Kenyan banks and their clients.

What is a 'staggering' amount? Is it the teller who decides or is their a standard? If its the teller who decideds and a drunk bank manager then there lies the problem.

American banks are way stricter than Kenyan banks. However,the client will never know until he is doing something illegal. This false premise that Kenyan banks do things 'to protect your money',is false security. Just try banking a fake check in an American bank or even giving out just one bounced check,then you will understand the meaning of security.

If you do any transaction of $10k in the US the bank is obligated to report your activity to the Feds. It will report the activity but you won't even know it as a client. The bank can not hold you for an hour so that some high school teller can decide if your shoes are worth 10k.

It is upto a qualified outfit to decide if the transaction is fraudulent or not. Not the teller and not the bank manager. There is a fraud department for that,I hope,that is supposed to do such stuff.

Everytime I see people trying to give a pass to any sort of poor customer service,I understand why Kenyans don't go anywhere. Just because it is being done does not make it right or even legal for that matter.

No wonder Mpesa is a hit if this is the way bank customers are treated. To make things even worse,you are charged for poor service. God help Kenyans!

I can assure you,that if they tried that on me,they would never forget the name Nancy! If 5 clients made a stink about such an archaic policy,the bank will be obligated to change. But if you take it like its normal,then MKAE VIVYO HIVYO!

adept
#8 Posted : Saturday, June 06, 2009 10:53:00 AM

By the way,Kenyan banks are required to retain supporting documentation for transfers above USD 10K.

I blame the management of Kenyan banks for not educating their staff on:

1. Basic concepts of risk management - How do you start interrogating and calling back a cheque deposit after it has cleared? What are you trying to prevent? The horse has already bolted. The bank has no right to prevent a client from accessing funds in his account unless authorised by the gava (e.g. a KRA agency notice,CBK directive etc) or a court. If the transaction seemed irregular,it should have been noted and reported to the CBK at the time of deposit.

2. The role of banks in AML - In many countries with a clearly defined AML policy (and Kenya I think is adopting a similar approach though the CBK seems shy to overtly say so),banks are only required to report (daily or as they occur) suspicious transactions to the regulator. It is upto the regulator to order the bank to block an account. The reporting is usually done discreetly and the clients are not expected to know.

Banks are not explicitly mandated to block the transaction. One reason for this is that suspicion is sometimes just a gut feeling. If a bank unilaterally blocks a transaction and it turns out the client was clean,you can be sure that the CBK will not compensate the bank for any interest claims that the client may make. Reporting means the fight will effectively be between CBK and the client.

3. Customer Service - Common-sense customer service dicates that you approach the client with an 'innocent until proven guilty' disposition and not the other way round. In any case,it will not make the facts any truer (sp) if you use a hostile approach. The customer service staff need to understand that AML guidelines do not make them the police. Their role ends at realistic due diligence and regulatory reporting and does not include arresting and investigating criminals. They must learn to calm down and engage the customer in a rational discussion. Mosts people wouldn't mind as long as the customer service persons respectfully made them understand why.

I have an account with KCB and was once asked a couple of similar questions for a cheque deposit. I did not have a problem with the questions per se because I understood why. My problem was a)the attitude and b)why they were doing it after the cheque cleared.

@Magigi - Writing a composition is unacceptable.
nyari
#9 Posted : Saturday, June 06, 2009 10:59:00 AM

Had a case of someone trying to draw from my account using fake documents,this bank called me and upon confirming I hadn't issued any cheques asked me if I was nearby and could I visit immediately. I met this guy who had been arrested and I couldn't figure how he came across my signatures leave alone my cheque series.
unknown to the suspect,this bank has software that pops up your picture upon presenting a self cheque or when withdrawing. The guy didn't even have a chance to escape as the alarm had been raised by the teller in a subtle way.
This is how it should be,
A secret to doing business with a bank is to target a medium sized bank where you are on first name terms with staff and also get a contact who you can rely on when things seem to be getting stuck. Do your survey well and you'll never be disappointed. For instance your contact would already have known you were to bank some big cheques as he/she also happened to have been one of your referees when you opened the account etc.

MLANGUZI
#10 Posted : Saturday, June 06, 2009 12:02:00 PM

Coiler,

You should flee from that bank like a nonsense!(forgive my french) Basically your incidence tells you that the bank is highly prone to fraud that is why their untrained staff are excited at all times. what you should know is that there is a lot of fraud related to cloning of sacco cheques and coop bank being the official sacco bank,it has always been a victim. With a huge work load coop bank is unable to confirm or call back this cheques during the clearing or better still they are usually out witted at that clearing stage by the fraudsters hence the silly questions being asked by the colins or kevin fella. Dont be surprised to find that colins or kevin fella has no idea of any AML policy. In summary this bank has been heavily hit by fraud than any other bank and their staff are always on the look out. Try dressing sharply and enter this bank in the morning. you will be treated in a very funny way. I have spent over 5years in fraud prevention and detection. I should know.

If its not a winner........Then Its a killer!
Layman
#11 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2010 1:05:27 PM

...Theres no such thing as official bank for co-operative societies...only that co-operative societies have been and are still "used" to banking with co-op bank.
MaichBlack
#12 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2010 8:41:49 PM

I have almost committed homicide a number of times at Co-op. One day I present a couple of cheques and the teller flatly refuses to bank them. Reason? They only have two names! "Your account has three names so all the cheques you bank with us must have three names!!" Solution: Go back to the person who made the cheques and tell them to add the third name!!! I'm totally incensed imagining the whole process and time it will take and I ask her "What if I take the cheques, walk out of the bank, add the third name and come back??". She goes like "You could do that and I wouldn't know but don't because I'll check the handwriting bla bla bla...". I had to threaten her and demand to see the manager etc. before she accepted to bank my cheques!!! My own sweat! And here I was begging them to take my money!! Bure kabisa!

I bank with other banks too and they have never given me that third name crap - that's what clearing is all about - talk to the issuer of the cheque - through his bank - in the background. You can guess where my cheques end up nowadays!
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
aemathenge
#13 Posted : Thursday, October 28, 2010 2:42:00 PM

Dear Sir/Madam,
I patronize a web site that I feel is visited by a good number of the middle income people.

The link below will get you there and let you see a good number of their complaints especially targetted at the Kimathi Branch.

http://www.wazua.co.ke/f...aspx?g=posts&t=3380
Please comment.

aemathenge

Good day aemathenge,

RE: Custormer complaint CRM:00222990

Thank you for your mail.

The mail is being handled by the Customer Service Manager.

Thank you for your concern.

We thank you for your request.

For any enquiries, Contact us on: 020-2776000, 0729277600 or 0736690101 or email:
customerservice@co-opbank.co.ke

Kind Regards,
Carolyne Gatobu.
Co-op bank Customer Service
bird_man
#14 Posted : Thursday, October 28, 2010 3:41:48 PM

I think you guys are blowing issues out of proportion here and sharing personal names and titles here isnt the way to go about it.Why dont you just move to the better option?We have over 30banks in Kenya.
Formally employed people often live their employers' dream & forget about their own.