wazua Sun, Oct 6, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Wagalla Massacre, what happened?
Surealligator
#1 Posted : Friday, October 15, 2010 12:58:14 PM

The airstrip was surrounded by soldiers armed with general purpose machine guns and G3 rifles.

The men were told to produce their weapons. Many protested that they didn't have any weapons. That was a wholly unacceptable answer.

The men were stripped naked and allowed to bake in the 40-degrees Celsius heat for hours on end. For people of that culture, this was supreme humiliation.

They were not allowed food or water. From the time they were rounded up, the beatings with rifle butts were continuous.

Those who were foolish enough to question the humiliation were summarily shot in full few of their fellow prisoners.

There were many deaths by the second day. Some had died of the beatings and gun shots.

Some had convulsed in the heat and simply passed out. But amidst all this, there were still others who dared stand up for manly honour. A horrible fate awaited them.

Their hands were bound behind their backs and loaded into a helicopter. The chopper rose and hovered above the prisoners. At some point, the bound men would be pushed out of the open door.

They fell to their deaths hundreds of feet below as other men watched, awaiting their turn. This was repeated several times.

At about the fourth or fifth day, it occurred to the surviving and famished prisoners that nobody would leave this place alive.

And indeed this seems to have been the plan. Another officer offered only one contribution to the recollection of Wagalla. He said: "Nobody was supposed to leave that place alive."

As if taking cue from the prisoners depicted in the movie "Escape From Sobibor" - a depiction of the dramatic escape from one of Nazi Germany's most notorious death camps - Wagalla's tragic survivors started running in all directions.

At first the soldiers, who were also exhausted from the beatings and killings, were too surprised to react. And then they did.

A hail of fire was sprayed in the directions of the fleeing men. Many fell. But some survived.

And it is their narratives that told the world what had happened there.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201005211108.html
Go overdrive in purchasing the goods when there's blood on the streets, expecially if the blood is your own
Gordon Gekko
#2 Posted : Friday, October 15, 2010 1:07:35 PM

Can best be told by the three guys who had a meeting in the area a few days to the events. KTN mentioned names on the news last night, one was a former minister in the NARC government, one heads a commission and one is a high ranking military officer.
McReggae
#3 Posted : Friday, October 15, 2010 1:10:44 PM

What a story.....a very sad one at that!!!!!
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
bwenyenye
#4 Posted : Friday, October 15, 2010 3:20:02 PM

KTN should be objective enough to point out WHY this was unfortunate suffering meted on these people. There is no way you can swear allegiance to another government and demand to secede and have any sane army just let you off with a slap in the wrist. Then again in 1985? Guys, lets get real. What did you see happen to the Sabaot Land Defence Force guys or the Mungiki when they threatened the government. It happens everywhere. Even now, just try and declare your independence ( especially when armed). Even the new Bill of Rights will not spare you.

I know that I may sound retrogressive but for a moment consider if they had seceded! What with what is happening in Somalia now? I know there were very many innocent men, but how could the army tell? we even today cannot tell who is in Mungiki and who is not in areas where it is rampant!

Pole to those who were innocently hurt, but we have to protect our borders even from within!!!

Let the stones begin!!!!!
I Think Therefore I Am
Impunity
#5 Posted : Friday, October 15, 2010 3:27:31 PM

Silenced
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

YesuWangu
#6 Posted : Friday, October 15, 2010 3:31:27 PM

No comment!
mwenza
#7 Posted : Friday, October 15, 2010 3:45:20 PM

bwenyenye wrote:
KTN should be objective enough to point out WHY this was unfortunate suffering meted on these people. There is no way you can swear allegiance to another government and demand to secede and have any sane army just let you off with a slap in the wrist. Then again in 1985? Guys, lets get real. What did you see happen to the Sabaot Land Defence Force guys or the Mungiki when they threatened the government. It happens everywhere. Even now, just try and declare your independence ( especially when armed). Even the new Bill of Rights will not spare you.

I know that I may sound retrogressive but for a moment consider if they had seceded! What with what is happening in Somalia now? I know there were very many innocent men, but how could the army tell? we even today cannot tell who is in Mungiki and who is not in areas where it is rampant!

Pole to those who were innocently hurt, but we have to protect our borders even from within!!!

Let the stones begin!!!!!

This is one reasson why i like Wazua..............You start a thread expecting total concurrence and then this happens.
IF YOU EXPECT ME TO POST ANYTHING POSITIVE ABOUT ASENO, YOU MAY AS WELL SIT ON A PIN
dossy7
#8 Posted : Friday, October 15, 2010 4:25:48 PM

If you watched the series voices revealed by KTN then no matter whether they were trying to secede or not that cannot be justifiable.That was pure brutality by a govt on it's people.
To add salt to injury B.Kiplagat who was also involved talked badly on the news,leaving me to wonder will the TJRC ever meet it's mandate?
Kenya ni yetu sisi sote
msotoville
#9 Posted : Friday, October 15, 2010 8:28:37 PM

@ Bwenyenye.

I toadally concur.

KTN (not known for its objectivity) was overly economical with the details. It's no secret that Shifta Territory is a slaughter house for anyone in uniform. Entire units being wiped out is not uncommon.

Somalis refer to as kawa miroz as Modhou Modhou (a derogatory term loosely translated to mean "dark skinned people who are inferior"). Couple this with cession fever, a bandit mentality and the lawless badlands up North and y'all got one nasty little tinderbox.

Army survivors narrate bizarre experiences...like walking past a bui-bui clad figure who'd humbly bow and walk past you...only to turn on you, unleash an AK-47...and the last sound y'all heard is two clicks and KAPOW!

This was a situation where soldiers didn't trust the people they were sworn to defend - with enough proof provided by the bullet riddled bodies of their comrades in military morgues.
Wagalla was the unfortunate climax of a long drawn out war.

Perhaps what KTN can do to provide a balanced view is do a piece on soldiers/cops felled up North while on duty...and let them tell their side of the story.
So nice that its nasty, so bangin' its busting,
So slick that its sick, so dope its disgusting!
kadonye
#10 Posted : Friday, October 15, 2010 10:16:59 PM

I thought the shifta uprising was in the 60s!1985 was 20yrs later
What a wicked man I am!The things I want to do,I don't do.The things I don't want to do I find myself doing
murenj
#11 Posted : Friday, October 15, 2010 10:33:13 PM

Lets look at it this way. 1985. one party political system. an attempted coup 3 years ago. . . political dissidents being silenced. . . . then you dare talk succession? lets call it a necessary evil. but we do agree that stability has been maintained.
Kulchaz
#12 Posted : Saturday, October 16, 2010 6:18:42 AM

I think the question remains; what prompted the Goverment to turn against its own people? Who ordered this massacre? did they account for this? If they are still alive can they be taken to Hague? What we hear is one side of the story, can somebody tells us the other side? I mean there are many questions than answers here and KTN is not shedding too much light on these!
It should not be all about the event but also what led to that event and what happened after that event!