wazua Sun, May 19, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Juba,South Sudan
Juma
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2009 5:44:00 AM

Any one here taken the road to Juba from Nairobi / Nakuru? What is the road condition like? Where does the tarmac end,... etc?

I am looking at options of transporting goods there by road and would like to get an idea of its condition.

Thanks.
Juma
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2009 6:12:00 AM

Yaani no one on SK has gone to South Sudan by road? Tis a surprise. Should there be someone,don't hold back.
Peppy
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2009 7:20:00 AM

All I know is that during the rains things are elephant with seasonal rivers coming to life etc. You may need to do your homework with the transporters such as the bus companies and see how long it takes to go there and the challenges such as the number of spare wheels and reserve fuel.

All the best.
I can do everything through Christ who strengthens me: Phil 4: 13
Njunge
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:33:00 AM

@Juma,

Will you be using public are private means?And do you have a specific route or you need the most convinient?

Guka wa bijuti...
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
Iganamagana
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2009 10:13:00 AM

Go to Kigali coach offices (River Road near the Council choo) and ask their Juba drivers how the conditions are. They might be of help.

IGANA.
Juma
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2009 10:17:00 AM

@ Njung'e - Will be going by prime mover. I was thinking of Via Nakuru - Lodwar - Loki...
Via Uganda is also an option but am wary about security,given the LRA antics.

Which routes do you know of?
Njunge
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2009 11:11:00 AM

@Juma,

I wouldn't try Loki route.Once inside Southern Sudan on the Kenyan border,you automatically become a guest of many militia groups.........You are literally in Wild west.....Use the Ugandan route.Road from Kampala to Gulu and the border point of Nimule is damn smoother than many of Kenyan roads......The stretch is about 480Km from Kampala.I would advise if you are new on this route,join a convoy heading to Juba........The road to Juba from Nimule is murram crap in the bush and you should be well prepared.Beauty is UPDF soldiers constantly patrol this road all the way to Juba and security is fair....Don't worry too much about Kony's thugs.Most melted into Southern Sudan never to be heard and the only remaining groups are hiding further west in DRC if not CAR...Other than that,Western Uganda and parts of the north are aesthetically beautiful countrysides that will ease the long journey..........Bon Voyage.

Guka wa bijuti...
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
Djinn
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2009 2:36:00 PM

Juma - a map link (http://www.geographicguide.net/africa/uganda.htm)

and thinking of Migingo,pls look at the words on top of the map where there is an animated flag flying - so it seems Uganda's borders a 'fluid'......

The problem with equality is that we desire that it be with those that have more than us rather that those that have less