wazua Fri, May 17, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

The hallowed fund manager
muganda
#1 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 3:36:28 PM

Do you belong to a pension fund? Who is your fund manager? What was the average return your board of trustees proclaimed to the masses for the year ending June 2010?

Stock exchange in Kenya has evidently undergone some reforms: from CMA, CDSC, players, NSSF etc. A story on Business Daily makes me wonder whether the so called 'fund manager' is standing on hallowed ground?

When times were bad last year, published results for fund managers still showed healthy pickings because fund managers are paid in good times and bad. Retirement Benefits Authority badly need to report to us average return for pension schemes.

If your company sponsored scheme isn't showing these returns per asset class, someone should be fired:

year end June 2010
Equity............33.8% return
Bonds/TBill.......31.6% return
Property..........4.7% return
Offshore..........16.6% return

survey of 124 schemes with Kes 250b under management
http://www.businessdaily...0/-/bo1pov/-/index.html
young
#2 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 10:25:23 PM

Investing part of your funds with fund managers is a bright idea but it must be a good one, the best not necessarily the cheapest.
This act as a leverage but it may not necessarily return better than your personal efforts.

If you are not satisfied with your current fund manager, feel free to sale off and move on to another one.
The wazua spirit as members is to educate and inform and learn from others within the limit of what we know in any chosen area irrespective of our differences in tribes, nationalities, etc. .
Gordon Gekko
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2010 8:13:54 AM

I belong in an employer pension fund. Being a defined benefit fund, the employer wields immense power and hence the issue of replacing the fund manager, bad as they are, a nullity.
kiriita
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2010 11:19:51 AM

GG, you should at least count yourself lucky your employer still runs a DB scheme - they are almost becoming extinct with most companies converting to the cheaper DC schemessmile
young
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2010 8:42:40 PM

My opinion was directed at individual investment with a fund manager not employee group pension scheme
The wazua spirit as members is to educate and inform and learn from others within the limit of what we know in any chosen area irrespective of our differences in tribes, nationalities, etc. .
Zakumi
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2010 9:34:45 PM

The property class seems to have a low return,at 4.7%......any that is good news, im usually at pains explaining to a no nonsense board that at 9%(exclusive of the capital return) we are doing fairly well.
The Strong Do What They Want,The Weak Do What They Must!
My 2 cents
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 22, 2010 10:59:56 AM

The highest return one gets out of pensions is the tax saved in the first 20K of contribution. I save 20K but only 14k gets deducted out of my payslip. That is a free 6k from the government every month.

The returns I get from the fund managers at year end are nothing to write home about. (last year 8% - below inflation)
Gordon Gekko
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 22, 2010 12:06:03 PM

@kiriita, I'm not comfortable with a DB scheme as it seems to be an oncoming train that will smash us at some point. I would rather a DC.