wazua Sat, May 4, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

RVR effects on Centum
slicky d
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 07, 2008 6:35:00 AM

Does anyone out there know what effect the cancellation of RVR contract will affect the financial position of Centum as it is part of the RVR shareholding?
mr dean
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 07, 2008 9:11:00 AM

slightly if hardly.it is just one of the many investments that centum has.however,the market may be saying diffrent things as centum's share has been headed south of late.

xplain.
Hi-Lo
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 07, 2008 9:35:00 AM

I understand they've been unwinding their KCB position at 30+ big time; they'd entered at less than 3bob - I know since we moved into KCB at the same time around 2002,but I made a big mistake when I exit long ago. Poor me. So they're headed for a phenomenal profit growth in Mar/2009 (maybe even beat Eqty). But what next for the Centum - the quamire in RVR will drain their cash - investing in transport MATATU,RAILWAYS,AIRLINE is a risky business. Just my view...

Hey...Somebody might make a killing out of me...?!
eli
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 07, 2008 12:27:00 PM

If RVR fails to raise the USD 40M that the PM said yesterday,and RVR flops,then Centum will have their profits reduced. They invested in this company and if it flops then it flops with their investments,no matter how small or big. Hence shareholders might just want to read that,their profits could dip slightly,and hence might not develop an appetite for the share and hence,more dumping by speculator and hence the share price falls. This is in the short run.

Due to the fact that Centum has diversified,I think their portfolio will relatively be stable,not much change and hence the share should be stable over the long run.
Hedges
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 07, 2008 4:36:00 PM

Correct me if I am wrong,but I think Centum's exposure to RVR was about 1bn.They have a long term investment strategy.The current woes at RVR is not causing them sleepless nights.If you have noticed,the press hardly mention them.Transcentury gets all the attention smile

Methinks they invested in RVR for strategic reasons and to have a say or clout in the transportation business that is critical for their other regional investments.

For example,if they invest in copper in Zambia or coffee in Uganda,they will need transportation services and RVR will fit perfectly.As shareholders,they could be offered cheaper transport charges.

But on the flipside,railway concessioning worldwide has been a risky and disappointing move by governments.In estonia,the goverment took back the railway business after concessioning to the private sector.

So,lets hope the same wont happen here in Kenya. The new team should atleast DO something and salvage the situation.

I dont think Centum will lose out in the years to come. They did their homework smile

Happy investing !

Mainat
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 07, 2009 1:37:00 PM

Lets see how this storro plays out next week...http://www.bdafrica.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12749&Itemid=5810

www.mjengakenya.blogspot.com
Sehemu ndio nyumba
KulaRaha
#7 Posted : Friday, April 03, 2009 6:33:00 AM

So much for RVR

Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
kyt
#8 Posted : Saturday, April 04, 2009 11:01:00 AM

in investing you loose and you win.its the nature of investment. all is not lost though they still have other avenues

hasta la vista
LOVE WHAT YOU DO, DO WHAT YOU LOVE.