Murang'a County
safariant
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 12, 2010 11:37:22 AM

John Michuki for Governor.

Peter Kenneth for Senator.
The greatest act of bravery is chancing a fart while suffering from diarrhoea
Magigi
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 12, 2010 12:02:32 PM

...John Michuki? Is that the best there is in Murang'a? He has done good. You can only shine once and Madela realised this. That is why he (mandela) is the greatest statesman to ever have lived. Let the man spent the rest of his remaing days removing jiggers from his feet!!! (light note)
Gordon Gekko
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 12, 2010 2:05:42 PM

I would swap the two. Peter Kenneth going by his CDF record is best placed to run the county. Michuki in his sunset days can sit in the senate (which in my opinion is toothless as all the action will be in the county) plotting on censuring the executive, which is its biggest task.
safariant
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 12, 2010 4:48:25 PM

Magigi I think having the best performing minister and the best CDF manager in the country is not too shabby.
It could be worse.
kenmac
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 12, 2010 5:02:53 PM

peter kenneth for senator
......Ecclesiastes
kadonye
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 12, 2010 6:14:01 PM

This senator thing is over hyped!!

IMHO, it is better to be a member of the National Assembly than a senator.

FYI, the National Assembly:

1.Will legislate over bills of national importance while senate can only debate bills that affect county governments

2.Is where the national budget will be read and passed

3.Can also legislate on county related issues(which is primarily the role of senate.)

4.Has a greater oversight role over the national executive than the senate

The governor thing is confusing.I'm tempted to agree with Ruto that the governor is an over glorified chairman of County Council.Check the fourth schedule to confirm
What a wicked man I am!The things I want to do,I don't do.The things I don't want to do I find myself doing
Njung'e
#7 Posted : Monday, September 13, 2010 9:26:09 AM

@Kadonye,
What is confusing about the Governor?....A CEO with 3B at his/her disposal but besides that,he/she has the mandate to identify and generate revenue for the county......That does not describe a nyef nyef.
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
MaichBlack
#8 Posted : Monday, September 13, 2010 10:30:25 AM

Michuki for Governor!!! This guy is a no nonsense workaholic with an incredible business sense! I don't know why people are so fixated on the age. Numerous studies have shown that older employees are actually more innovative than the over hyped younger generation. Visit link below:

Older Employees More Innovative

I encourage everyone to visit that link because the sooner you disabuse yourself of these stereo typical belief the better for yourself, those around you and any businesses you may run.

Peter Kenneth is also on point. Next Governor maybe?
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
Jangwa la Jangili
#9 Posted : Monday, September 13, 2010 11:01:51 AM

Dont think @Magigi was referring to age but fresh leadership. That said, I would rather be led by an 80% senile Michuki-like character than a youthful Zinjanthropus like that Sonko boy vying in Makadara.
Katika Jangwa la Jangili ndipo Pwagu hupata Pwaguzi.
masukuma
#10 Posted : Monday, September 13, 2010 11:25:00 AM

whoever thinks 3 billion is a large amount of money for places like Nakuru County (Naivasha [suswa] to Molo [londiani] and Subukia and Lower Solai to Likia) is joking. Nairobi City has total Revenue of 12 billions shillings....12 billion!! we are talking about 1/4 of that spread over large expanses as Illustrated....p.s. that means the national Government is losing out on Revenue...Since the Cake is still the same size (no one is talking about increasing the size of the cake only reapportioning it) as of this years budget Parliament was in agreement that the 977 million budget was living beyond our means. We are walking a tight rope that may snap as we add staff to our backs and redistribute the same amount of money (with administrative costs i.e. A larger parliament, A senate, county governments) - you will be taxed until you run dry ergo milking a dry udder will only make the government receive a Kick.
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
MaichBlack
#11 Posted : Monday, September 13, 2010 11:55:51 AM

@masukuma - I totally agree with you. The cost of running the government under the new constitution will be enormous! Are we still going to pay the MPigs close to a million per month? How many are we going to have under the new constitution? Does the new constitution allow us to slash their salaries - to say 300k per month [They are actually worth less than that!], How many governors? Senators? Are we going to pay governors more than MPigs as I think we will? Add to that employees at the county level and you will see the bigger picture. I'm afraid counties will start levying their own taxes. We will probably be charged for 'importing' or 'exporting' goods to and from other counties. Don't think I'm imagining too much - the City Council does it - from chicken to sand and other stuff!

What I want to hear from the government [lead by Jomo's son], civil society, economist, wazuans etc. is exactly how much it is going to cost to run the government(s) going forward and where the money will come from.
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
safariant
#12 Posted : Monday, September 13, 2010 12:04:34 PM

Its funny that all through the Constitutional debates no one talked about the cost.

what is the current recurrent expenditure budget proportion and with the government size set to double can we afford it?
MaichBlack
#13 Posted : Monday, September 13, 2010 12:11:39 PM

safariant wrote:
Its funny that all through the Constitutional debates no one talked about the cost.

what is the current recurrent expenditure budget proportion and with the government size set to double can we afford it?

Correction. I did. But 'everyone' was imagining that raising this issues is tantamount to campaigning for yes. Some very educated individuals were responding by simply saying "All the money we will save by eliminating corruption will pay for these...". Never mind they couldn't quantify exactly how much we currently loose in corruption, how the new constitution will ensure we don't continue loosing these amounts [or a specific percentage of it] and most importantly the exact additional cost [for comparison purposes]!!!
#14 Posted : Monday, September 13, 2010 12:12:24 PM

safariant wrote:

I would really not worry much about costs. Kenyans have decided and we'll do it at any cost. A lot of money has been spend most of it wasted in the search for this new constitution. Once it's in place we'll make it all back. I call it a good investment and there is no better investment than giving hopeless people some hope. It's a cost that many nations have paid with blood.

BBI will solve it
:)
doubtfire
#15 Posted : Monday, September 13, 2010 1:05:34 PM

@2012

Hiyo ni kweli kabisa

infact we dont have to worry about the money.we will get aprox a hopping 7m from mps tax which i believe we assist.
masukuma
#16 Posted : Monday, September 13, 2010 1:14:26 PM

We have just created a way to move money from the left pocket to the right one and added administrative costs for doing it AKA Big Government. Currently local Governments i.e. County councils, Municipal councils and City councils already have some cess and some other funny operation taxes (yet they have Latf Nairobi's Latf was 1.96 billion in the 2009/2010 year) I dont know what will happen when Central Government fails to give its due to the Counties....those will be turbulent times.
#17 Posted : Monday, September 13, 2010 2:21:22 PM

masukuma wrote:
I dont know what will happen when Central Government fails to give its due to the Counties....those will be turbulent times.

And why will it fail to remit? I don't see that scenario occurring because there will be a big enough surplus from the wealthy counties to take care of the deficits of poor counties.

BBI will solve it
:)
masukuma
#18 Posted : Monday, September 13, 2010 6:13:42 PM

surplus? you think we have surplus? Hivi ndio watu walidanganywa juu ya pyramid schemes [money created in some obscure manner, increase by division] If the total pie is not enough (AKA living beyond our means) how can the slicing of it for everyone while having crumbs fall off the cake be enough? no matter how we slice it - we need a bigger cake. Countries that have made it made it through creating wealth not sharing the little they have that means we need to find some oil, raid some country, be tax free havens, be like switzerland and offer banking for crooks, colonize some region, make treaties with south sudan when they secede to do oil drilling huko, lower our wages (i have heard of people with masters in Asia being payed what we call peanuts in Kenya), Reduce the cost of power e.t.c. not by sharing crumbs and hoping someone will have some surplus.
has anyone given a thought to capacity building for counties? the 15% may just disappear coz people lack capacity to handle it. remember its 15% of money we did not have.
Kusadikika
#19 Posted : Monday, September 13, 2010 7:51:54 PM

masukuma wrote:
surplus? you think we have surplus? Hivi ndio watu walidanganywa juu ya pyramid schemes [money created in some obscure manner, increase by division] If the total pie is not enough (AKA living beyond our means) how can the slicing of it for everyone while having crumbs fall off the cake be enough? no matter how we slice it - we need a bigger cake. Countries that have made it made it through creating wealth not sharing the little they have that means we need to find some oil, raid some country, be tax free havens, be like switzerland and offer banking for crooks, colonize some region, make treaties with south sudan when they secede to do oil drilling huko, lower our wages (i have heard of people with masters in Asia being payed what we call peanuts in Kenya), Reduce the cost of power e.t.c. not by sharing crumbs and hoping someone will have some surplus.
has anyone given a thought to capacity building for counties? the 15% may just disappear coz people lack capacity to handle it. remember its 15% of money we did not have.

You raise a very valid point @masukuma. Just how much control will counties have over their ability to raise revenue. Right now the discussion is about distributing money that they are allocated from the national kitty but is this really devolution?

What about people deciding how they can increase their revenue? As an example, can Nakuru county enter into an agreement with a multinational company to exploit the geothermal power in Menengai crater. Can it borrow money? Can Kakamega county put up a bullfighting arena? Can Busia county pass laws to allow it to exploit its natural resource of good Canabis? Can Mombasa county pass laws to allow for a red light district?
masukuma
#20 Posted : Monday, September 13, 2010 9:45:43 PM

All valid questions or are we just having consumer counties.
on a light note and on the Canabis issue....Busia can, Laws that appertain to drug use and enforcement are at county level. Miraa banned in one County and an export of another. I am guessing the Pharmacy and Poison's Act will need to be done in 47 different ways.