wazua Sun, Jun 9, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

How worthy the 7 ideas that won Kenya ICT board grant?
jguru
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 08, 2010 9:02:46 PM

wazua wrote:
Dear Members,

We appreciate your contributions thus far as regards the Thinker's Section. At the same time, we acknowledge vibrant imaginations of some of our members.

We would like to clarify we are not the beneficiary of any grant from ICT board, and neither did we participate in the ICT board process. We also do not have Mr Paul Kukubo as a member of the board of Wazua or its related partners.

Should such an occurrence arise, it would be natural to inform while thanking our members, who are an intrinsic part of Wazua.

Winners of Government Information Portal grant announced, more announcement to follow in September

Thank you for being a part of Wazua.

I am sitting here and thinking, yes thinking smile , about these 7 ideas that won the The Kenya ICT Board Digital Content and Software Application Grant in the category 'Government Information Portal'.

And I cannot help but wonder, yaani tuseme, these are the best ICT ideas in Kenya? Where are the THINKERS? Seriously, why would I ever want to fill out my tax form in Kao or kiGiriama and from a mobile phone? And e-learning training for 40,000 health workers? Why train health workers on HIV/AIDS? They already know about it I presume.

IMHO, there must be better IT ideas and solutions that involve the government out there. Or am I OVERTHINKING? smile
Set out to correct the world's wrongs and you will most certainly wind up adding to them.
mwenza
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 09, 2010 10:34:42 AM

Maybe you could start by giving us what you consider to be a worthy idea to prove to us that you are truly thinking/"overthinking".
IF YOU EXPECT ME TO POST ANYTHING POSITIVE ABOUT ASENO, YOU MAY AS WELL SIT ON A PIN
selah
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 09, 2010 10:53:01 AM

mwenza wrote:
Maybe you could start by giving us what you consider to be a worthy idea to prove to us that you are truly thinking/"overthinking".

Applause Applause Applause

I looked at the Ideas that won the grants and I was impressed by how simple and practical they were.

For instance, there was one which involved mapping all schools in kenya with the help of ministry of education,into one portal such that when you wanted to know which schools were in your locality it would be by a click of a batton.

This idea I think has hit at least all of us but how many have taken the initiative to draft a proposal or plan of action on that idea.Very few.
'......to the acknowledgment of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; 3 In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.' Colossians 2:2-3
alma
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 09, 2010 10:59:37 AM

what did you want them to produce, a website that provides you an instant condom through the monitor every time you see a hot girl?

The best ideas are simple and are based on providing a solution to a problem.

The hard part is everyone can dream of a big idea, very few implement it. And the 7 guys went ahead and started the journey to implement.

Kudos to them.
Jose: If I make it through this thug life, I'll see you one day. The Lord is the only way to stop the hurt.
muganda
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 09, 2010 3:43:15 PM

@alma, unnecessary sarcasm...

I agree with @selah, the ideas on mapping schools by EDUWEB is fab! Came across a map of all health facilities in Kenya - www.ehealth.or.ke Good stuff.

Another one that struck me was the idea of Kenya Online Museum. Though I'm envisioning impact of award winning photography of content found in our museums in addition to the history. This one can make the whole world converge around...

mozenrat
#6 Posted : Friday, September 10, 2010 8:40:10 PM

Just how complex was the MPesa idea... its just SMSs.. but look at the impact it has had... Hii mambo ya thinkers.. you end up creating a robot arm that turns right and left and can't be used for anything..
mozenrat
#7 Posted : Friday, September 10, 2010 8:42:56 PM

about that health facilities site.. brilliant idea poorly executed.. by the time you drill down, your patient might be knocking on ahera's door.. A tree structure on the side would have helped..

The search functions helps somewhat..
mwenza
#8 Posted : Friday, September 10, 2010 8:43:49 PM

mozenrat wrote:
Just how complex was the MPesa idea... its just SMSs.. but look at the impact it has had... Hii mambo ya thinkers.. you end up creating a robot arm that turns right and left and can't be used for anything..

Well put!Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause
IF YOU EXPECT ME TO POST ANYTHING POSITIVE ABOUT ASENO, YOU MAY AS WELL SIT ON A PIN
KenyanLyrics
#9 Posted : Saturday, September 11, 2010 1:23:08 AM

I'm just concerned that some of the ideas put forward need constant funding to be kept afloat, not a grant windfall