wazua Sat, May 18, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Rota virus
selah
#1 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 4:24:27 PM

this is a disease characterised by fever , vomiting and diarrhea.Is there a cure for this disease my son is really suffering I went to clinic they could not see anything but after googling it I realised it was rotavirus.
'......to the acknowledgment of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; 3 In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.' Colossians 2:2-3
Djinn
#2 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 4:34:04 PM

Like all viruses, you can only treat the symptoms unless a vaccine exists. Around 2005 a vaccine was introduced in Kenya but it is only effective when given to kids under 6 months (or perhaps its 12 months). Its efficacy in older kids is not assured thats whay as part of the vaccine schedule, some hospitals advise you to do it - costs abt Kshs 3000 (which is a small price to pay vis a vis 2-4 nights in hospital).

Rota affects SOME kids between 3 months and 5 years old. It can be very traumatizing esp for kids under 2 years...such a kid will need to be hospitalized and kept on a drip until the symptoms stop...this can be anything from 1-4 days....

Another virus with very similar characteristics is the Adeno virus...

Good luck.
Njung'e
#3 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 4:41:09 PM

@Djinn,
Which says Selah should be on her way to the hospital as a matter of urgency.
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
Capri
#4 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 4:49:04 PM

A stool test should quickly be able to ascertain if it's Rotavirus.

There is no cure but they put the child on a drip asap to counter the dehydration, plus other meds to reduce fever etc.

Hope he gets well soon, have been there twice and you really feel for the child.
Djinn
#5 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 4:54:59 PM

Njunge wrote:
@Djinn,
Which says Selah should be on her way to the hospital as a matter of urgency.

ABSOLUTELY....

if I may use a car analogy...the kid is like a car that is losing lots of oil from a leak AND also water from the radiator...zero cooling capabilities...so the two key concerns are:

1 - the fever (which can lead to seizures esp if they hover around 39-41 celcius for prolonged periods) since the body's cooling capabilities are diminished owing to vomiting and diarrhea...
2 - de-hydration - no need to expound on this much...basically whatever goes in orally, only abt 5% is absorbed and the rest passes through...or comes back up....so the drip is VERY important...
KulaRaha
#6 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 4:55:37 PM

My kid had it when he was 7 months old, 8 years ago. One week in hosi, 7 bags of drips.

Get the vaccine, get the vaccine!!!
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
Robinhood
#7 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 5:31:11 PM

My first kid had it and spent several days in hosi. Second one was vaccinated. No probs for her...

Please have your kid vaccinated soonest, though for selah, once the kid has had the virus, the vaccine is not necessary, or so I hear
Great men are not always wise, neither do the aged understand judgement...
Impunity
#8 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 5:52:13 PM

selah wrote:
this is a disease characterised by fever , vomiting and diarrhea.Is there a cure for this disease my son is really suffering I went to clinic they could not see anything but after googling it I realised it was rotavirus.

So Selah has a baby...
Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause
Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

Djinn
#9 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 5:56:21 PM

Robinhood wrote:
My first kid had it and spent several days in hosi. Second one was vaccinated. No probs for her...

Please have your kid vaccinated soonest, though for selah, once the kid has had the virus, the vaccine is not necessary, or so I hear

Yes, its like mumps - once you get it, thats it...the body becomes immune...thankfully for its heart breaking to see a kid that way...
Dash
#10 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 7:37:17 PM

parents whether rota or adeno virus, as soon as the baby shows any sign of diarhhoea, continuously give fluids over and over again.even its small sips...this helps in preventing dehydration which is the actual reason the kids are admitted and in severe cases can even cause death...the viruses themselves are self-limiting but dehydration is no joke for kids...also GET THE VACCINE, Its pricey but worth it
selah
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2010 11:30:33 AM

@all
Thanks for all your advice. My kid shows sign of recovery he is eating well and from yesterday he has not vomited nor diarrhea.

Actually prayers and rushing the kid to the hospital did the trick.But what I can say is avoid dairy ,sugary and fatty/oily food when the kid has this condition,this type of food makes the situation even worse concentrate on fluids esp. water ,boiled or stale food.
'......to the acknowledgment of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; 3 In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.' Colossians 2:2-3
b52
#12 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 4:17:17 PM

vaccine, rotateq, in 3 doses. At 6-12wks, 4-10wks n by 32wks. Talk to a health profesional b4 vaccination coz some kids may develop allergic reactions that are pretty nasty. After 1st dose ensure anyone who handles the child practises good hygiene since the child's excreta has live virus, able 2 infect anyone with no immunity.
Axe
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 31, 2010 2:50:22 PM

there is a vaccine for rotavirus, cost around 6k, but done to kids below 6 month, older than that bring some rections to the vaccine
"You wouldn't know where the boundary was until you got a slap on the back of your wrist"
tony stark
#14 Posted : Wednesday, September 08, 2010 4:47:00 PM

Axe wrote:
there is a vaccine for rotavirus, cost around 6k, but done to kids below 6 month, older than that bring some rections to the vaccine

why do the older kids get a reaction that the younger ones dont??? isn't the immune system the same?
The vaccine is not given to children older than 6 months due to teh risk of intussusception which rotashield had and they targetted older infants. The relative contraindication is due to this risk and reducing prevalence of the condition in oldre children.
Allergic reactions the reason for not giving kids above 6 months!!!