wazua Sun, Oct 6, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Who's fooling who...on Chiefs, DCs and DOs?
Pastor M
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 07, 2010 9:28:19 AM

http://www.standardmedia...00017838&cid=4&

Confusion and uncertainty has tightened its grip on the over 10,000 State officials in the Provincial Administration over their fate once their positions are scrapped.

Our chief and a family friend told me of his stress the feeling of betrayal by their employer and the humilition there are being taken through by mama pima na walevi wa changaa.I think this is the feeling across including PCs,DCs,and DOs.

Could the statement by Mutito MP Kiema Kilonzo "It is only a fool who prepares his sacking letter and signs it." be taunting them ? ama they didnt have a choice...
Robinhood
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 07, 2010 3:10:25 PM

Even the guys working in the provincial administration cannot see what their role will be in the new constitutional set up. They will competing with the county governments' bureaucracy.
Great men are not always wise, neither do the aged understand judgement...
Kusadikika
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 07, 2010 7:46:56 PM

Let the truth be told.

The whole provincial administration was under the office of the president which was the real essence of centralisation of power. When people talked about the power of the president being too much they actually meant the structure and function of this all pervasive system that ran from the highest places to the lowest mashinani. Everywhere you saw a chief, DO, DC or PC he/she was the representative of the president and served at his pleasure.

If you doubt this please see the clip by Martin Shikuku on this video (play from 22:10):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaeUMjGTuuA

The chief, DO, DC et al though they were with the wananchi at the grassroots they were serving their boss in Nairobi. What devolution means is this; that the centre of power shifts from Nairobi and comes closer to the people. Since it has been decided that the unit of local government is the county what I presume should happen is that once the people elect the governor then all the local administration units will proceed from him. He will be the mini president of the county. He may choose to hire the same chiefs but if he is to be the chief executive as he should be he doesn't have to. I think the government should tell these people the truth that they might be reassigned for now but their future will be determined by each county. The smart ones should start warming up to the local leaders who are the front runners for governors in their respective counties because even they would need the help of someone well versed in matters of administration when they are in power. Mutua, the president or the central government will not save them. They will be at the mercy of the mwananchi and the governors the mwananchi elects.
Kusadikika
#4 Posted : Friday, September 10, 2010 12:39:34 AM

http://www.nation.co.ke/.../-/10so2hp/-/index.html

I think the government is being dishonest with both the Provincial Administrators and the public. When people talked about devolution they did not mean that we have a structure of county governments alongside the existing structure of National Government. Something has to give and in my opinion National Government by definition will have to get smaller. Do they expect we the wananchi to pay all these DCs, DOs, Chiefs plus the extra MPs plus the Extra Senators plus the new county governors and assemblies and county government structures and extra judges etc. Hell no!!!!

If there are any patriotic lawyers in Wazua please start studying this new constitution thoroughly because its final implementation will not happen before some major defining court battles. This government will not burge until someone takes them to court to force them to accept that Provincial Administration is unconstitutional in whatever name. The current players will try to sneak it in the parliamentary bills being prepared right now and I hope there are MPs in that house who care enough to want a lean government.

It is to be expected that the current administrators should try to engage in institutional survival but at some point someone will have to stand up and spell it out for everyone. Imekwisha. I think since he has nothing to lose, Kifaki should be the one to say it. Alternatively he can wait for the outcome of a court ruling then tell them, sio mimi lakini we must obey the courts.