wazua Fri, Sep 27, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Rabbit Farming revisted - caveat emptor?
Djinn
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 31, 2010 6:12:53 PM

Hi All,
I'm prompted to bring this up again, knowing it was extensively and nearly exhaustively discussed in SK/Wazua and also because a close friend seems to be burning his fingers in such a venture by sourcing from a lady somewhere in Sigona (possibly a wazua member, possibly a get rich quick type of individual who can neither sex a young rabbit nor tell which is pregnant)....

Looking at one of the threads I see some Skerians expressed interest in forming a sacco kind of thing and some notable members at that.

So, my questions, and please don't make me do the roll call, you know who you are who expressed interest in such a venture or got involved in it:

1 - Aside from all the hype seen on Wazua, about the market for rabbit meat...is there really a good market?

2 - Notwithstanding the previous question, did any venture take off?

3 - Has anyone had similar experiences dealing with quack rabbit breeders (who cannot sex the young ones or tell when they are PG)?
. Anyone with experience at a Sigona based "rabbit farm"?

Pls share. I am fearful that such threads may have prompted people to start RABBIT PYRAMID SCHEMES so to speak - i.e. "breeder" sells a pair of male and female rabbits at Kshs 6-8k on the premise that it will have a litter of 8-10, which after 4 months can each be sold for Kshs 1.5k, breed again after 3 months and another 8-10, etc etc.

I personally think this rabbit biz is over rated. I have been to 3,4 and 5 star hotels and not seen it at more than ONE place and have polled friends of different cultures. No one seems to have a need or desire to eat cute bunnies. Its like GNLD products - the seller really hypes it up and leaves you with the burden of moving stock.

So...whats the 411 people?

FYI new members the threads on rabbit farming:
http://www.wazua.co.ke/f...aspx?g=posts&t=3361
http://wazua.com/forum.aspx?g=posts&m=6987
(this one by our eminently wise Njung'e aka Guka who asked (in 2007) whether there really is a market for rabbit meat

Djinn
#2 Posted : Friday, September 03, 2010 3:53:21 PM

OK, I cannot believe no one has responded to either confirm or refute the above...have others burnt their fingers and not willing to talk about it? Or am I so way off course with this? The fact that its been featured on TV and in the papers does not shake my conviction....so were pyramid schemes and other scams....

I'd not like to single out discussants of this topic but would implore them to give some feedback - even if its to say they ditched the idea and opted instead to start guinea pig farming...

Anyone?
Djinn
#3 Posted : Friday, September 03, 2010 6:06:22 PM

@Wazua Admin, please can you delete this thread and let the one under "Life" remain?

i.e. http://wazua.com/forum.a...=104880&#post104880

Thx