wazua Wed, May 15, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages«<91011
Safaricon the most EXPENSIVE provider
sky5
#201 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 2:48:51 PM

I think it is now cheaper to call using Safaricom line. So why move? Those who vukaad during the 'vuka' promotions eventually returned 'home'.

I am at home with Safaricom.
bss
#202 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 2:51:38 PM

We need each other. Zain largely for calls, SCOM principally for that useful govt tax we need after promulgation!
PKoli
#203 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 2:53:31 PM

sky5 wrote:
I think it is now cheaper to call using Safaricom line. So why move? Those who vukaad during the 'vuka' promotions eventually returned 'home'.

I am at home with Safaricom.

This time there is no vuka promotion, unlike the safcom promotion
propertyzote
#204 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 2:58:04 PM

In wealth creation..saving a penny counts or does it not? Now that MJ's term of Safcon is coming to an end what should we expect on the share price.Anxious This price wars has/will eat into safcom profits this year.
www.propertyzote.com the ultimate ‘one stop online shop’ of choice connecting more people with more properties at the click of a button
MaichBlack
#205 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 3:16:36 PM

Thank you to MJ and crew at Safcom for making me retain my Safcom number!

I had ordered for a Zain line some time back - Same as my Safcom number but different [obviously] prefix. I was planning to use it mainly for international calls which are cheaper on Zain.

I took my sweet time before picking it up but after the 3/= across networks I made a call to have the lines delivered. I got the line on Monday and for the few minutes I had it on my phone - checking if it is enabled, loading credit etc. etc. - I felt so "naked". I was imagining all the people who were probably trying to call me on my Safcom line. There was this feeling of nostalgia - never mind that the Safcom line was still in my pocket - and I was like "I can't do this!". It was either I get a twin sim phone - never been a fan of carrying more than one phone - or the Zain line takes a long holiday! I could also not imagine carrying an extra sim card and interchanging every time like some teenager!

As we speak, my Zain line is on holiday. I haven't used even a single cent of the credit or the free smses! I really don't see Zain winning this war. Safcom will be hit [bottom line] but I see Zain hitting the canvas.

Zain has been making losses all along. They made losses with the Vuka Tariff - 8/= across networks - I need an actuary/mathematician/economist/CFA to explain to me how they are planning to make profits with even lower charges!
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
bss
#206 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 3:26:25 PM

how short-sighted are we? we admit going forward data is the where revenues will be made. so why do 'we' fail to realise that you first need the subscriber numbers to fight this war?
Mwende
#207 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 3:48:37 PM

Why DISCRIMINATE the poor from the rich? Reminds me of apartheid segregation in SA…

But then this is Kenya & its a kenyan company.

I choose freedom from discrimantative actions…i choose ZAIN
ditto
...hold me in your arms, like that Spanish guitar… all night long!!!
MaichBlack
#208 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 4:02:55 PM

Mwende wrote:
Why DISCRIMINATE the poor from the rich? Reminds me of apartheid segregation in SA…

But then this is Kenya & its a kenyan company.

I choose freedom from discrimantative actions…i choose ZAIN
ditto

Stella Nyambura wa Mwangi: Biashara ni Biashara.

The reasoning is very simple. If a subscriber loads his/her phone with 100/= he/she is likely to spend it - compared to the 100/= in the pocket! It's called "Use of psychology in marketing'. Don't google that, I made the phrase up - but not the technique!
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
hindi ni riu
#209 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 5:37:29 PM

sky5 wrote:
I think it is now cheaper to call using Safaricom line. So why move?

Well....if one realizes that they have always been on the on the receiving end, on the short end of the stick, they move.

“Once the last tree is cut and the last river poisoned,you will find you cannot eat your money" Traditional saying.
guru267
#210 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:41:31 PM

Don't forget safcom has a float of 10billion shares...

And if all the guys holding these shares do some simple math you will see sellers flying in from all angles
Mark 12:29
Deuteronomy 4:16
propertyzote
#211 Posted : Thursday, August 26, 2010 3:04:28 PM

to my fellow sfcom shareholders..start considering some exit strategies that you had in place. and how come no one is talking of International calls.
www.propertyzote.com the ultimate ‘one stop online shop’ of choice connecting more people with more properties at the click of a button
qadaffi
#212 Posted : Thursday, August 26, 2010 3:41:36 PM

Abunuasi wrote:
@guru267
safcm profits will go down. No debate about that. Biggest qn is what will happen to Pain which has no other source of revenue????
Safcm got over 3B last financial yr from sale of laptops/phones only. How much did pain make from the same?
Mwenye nguvu mpishe!! Babu alinifunza

Fully agree with you, but in any case, subscribers win!

Subscribers are laughing all the way. That aside, in a few months (weeks?), when making a call or sending SMS, it will not matter, price-wise, which network one is on. The difference may be in terms of cents. The bigger picture is even more important. Faced with declining voice and SMS revenues, all the players will have to give us quality product portfolios, assured network quality (dropped calls will not do, we can afford to switch and hey, its not enough to claim "Strongest Network" - Prove it!). We will have to be accorded good customer care (waiting on the IVR queue for 10 minutes listening to stories from some women with exotic accents is a no-no) and generally we expect(nay, we demand) to be treat like humans.

Customer is King.

They have to get out there and look for practical every-day solutions which can be tailored to the Kenyan mobile market. It is survival of the fittest, in this case, the most innovative. I expect a flurry of services mostly data-based. Corporate communication WANs will need to evolve faster.IT managers who are usually attended to by some dim-wit in the name of Corporate Support now wield power. For the first time, we really are spoilt for choice.

On another front, local content and mobile apps developers may soon become premium talent. For a long time, the techies have been ignored or treated shabbily in deed. They are talented, have great ideas that can change the social and economic outlook of the masses, yet the mobile operators do not see the need to engage them. Case in point, how many telcos have seen the value in providing open APIs? I have heard all manner of excuses about security and privacy of networks but surely, there are technical controls for that kind of threats. How come Vodafone, BT and Orange run open APIs for "Betavine", "Ribbit" and "Partner" platforms respectively? Even GSM Association is aggresively pushing the OneAPI project....The feeble attempts to engage developers will now have to change. How long does it take Safaricom or Zain to respond to a business proposal? When they do, it is probably a half-hearted acknowledgement and if the proposal goes through, the revenue share is tilted in their favor. Business partnerships will be key.

So, beyond the much publicised price wars and past the noise and media antics, I hope mobile operators realize that the journey has just commenced. I wonder who will fall by the way-side, but I know somebody will.
AmHere
#213 Posted : Thursday, August 26, 2010 4:04:27 PM

By the way, what is Google up to? Eyeing a share of the international calls market or just value add?

As long as you are on an internet connection in Kenya, you can call any US or Canada cell or land line for free.

http://www.google.com/chat/voice/
https://www.google.com/voice/rates#K

propertyzote wrote:
to my fellow sfcom shareholders..start considering some exit strategies that you had in place. and how come no one is talking of International calls.