wazua Sun, Oct 6, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Partition of Africa's largest country.....
selah
#1 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2010 11:28:31 AM

Come January we will witness one of the rarest occurrences in Africa:secession VS unity referendum.

Southern Sudan will be going to the poll with the view of winning a favorable outcome for their secession ambitions.

Humanitarian minister for the south warns of a humanitarian crisis no matter the out come.

independence outcome will force more than 1.5million southerners to move from the Muslim dominated north to head south.

A unity outcome may result into more fighting/violence due to anger by the southerners who are looking forward to secession.

But the real question is, are we as their neighbor prepared for any eventuality?

'......to the acknowledgment of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; 3 In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.' Colossians 2:2-3
kadonye
#2 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2010 11:38:41 AM

Sometime back a southerner was engaged in a series of exchanges with the Sudanese Ambassador

It seems the North wants the south to remain but the south is unwilling
What a wicked man I am!The things I want to do,I don't do.The things I don't want to do I find myself doing
Kaigangio
#3 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2010 11:54:34 AM

the peace accord or is it treaty signed between the two waring sides, SLPA (read John Garang) and the government (read el bashir) gave the southern sudan a partial autonomy, which would transform into full independence if SS was not happy with the marriage...i think southern sudan is determined to detouch completely from the rest of sudan...

it is obvious that we will be caught with our pants down as usual...completely unprepared.

looks like the conflict in dafur will take a similar trajectory...
...besides, the presence of a safe alone does not signify that there is money inside...
MaichBlack
#4 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2010 1:34:18 PM

It will be a very bad precedence to partition Sudan no matter the justification. Many other countries will follow suit some for absolutely trivial reasons! Nigeria will definitely be second in line. In 20yrs nobody will 100% sure how many countries are in Africa. Just like parents are scared of being asked "trick" questions by their kids like "Dad, how many districts are there in Kenya?".
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
Intelligentsia
#5 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2010 4:09:09 PM

@maichblack...umed*nya point hapo.to digress, parenting's just become difficult.
zamani PCs,DCs and Ministers stayed so long in their posts you had their names at your fingers tips but now...okay its progress but not for the memory.
then they are teaching kids french (from lower primo) while your closest association with the french ligua franca is when you pass outside Alliance Francaise! woe unto you if your kid asks you to help with the corrections of his/her french paper (the basic one drawn trees, a bus,goat and you are asked to give the name of the object hapo chini). You willl be finished,gone.
Just tell the kid unaumwa na kichwa, enda kwa mama yako akuandikie...or the kid might ask you to resign from being his dad! Nikubaya.
winston
#6 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2010 4:20:58 PM

Me thinks that the split should happen. In the short term it will precipitate a crisis but in the long term it will allow both the north and south to develop into whatever they want to be without haggling and fighting over resources and opportunities.

Let's not forget the suffering and deprivation the southerners have endured over the years can not simply vanish by sticking together.
bwenyenye
#7 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2010 6:57:51 PM

I think they should secede. However, I know that the SS have alot of governance issues and tribalism. I hope it does not spiral into another Somalia. It may be very bad.
I Think Therefore I Am
selah
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 1:41:22 PM

The drama is still unfolding now the north has started some dirty games, it is now stifling the economy of the south by deliberately paying the SS governments' share in local currency as opposed to foreign currency.

Given that South Sudan depends mostly on imports the Bashir govt is really heating below the belt.

I think by January We will see more of this sabotage tactics.
'......to the acknowledgment of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; 3 In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.' Colossians 2:2-3